What's new

Which simpson?

I have been wet shaving for only a week but love it, and am quite addicted to it already. My current brush is a Semogue 1305 and it works great but I want to try a badger brush. I figure why not go with what I see most people here trust which is a simpson. I am looking for a brush under $100. The duke 2 is right at that price point but I see a lot of praise for other Simpsons as well. So what would you recommend? Primary method is bowl lathering and use both creams and soaps. All inputs are appreciated.

You do realize that it is going to take you at least 3-4 more weeks to break in your Semogue boar brush?

You might want to wait until it gets broken in before you decide you want something different as during each week for the next month your boar WILL be different :lol:

You don't want a Duke 2 as a bowl lathering brush. Sure you can use it to build lather in a shaving bowl but I am afraid you will be disappointed as the handle and loft is rather short which makes it an exceptional face lathering brush.

My advise is spend the time to break in your 1305. It will soften into a very acceptable brush for making lather in a shaving bowl.

You do realize that it is going to take you at least 3-4 more weeks to break in your Semogue boar brush?

You might want to wait until it gets broken in before you decide you want something different as during each week for the next month your boar WILL be different :lol:

You don't want a Duke 2 as a bowl lathering brush. Sure you can use it to build lather in a shaving bowl but I am afraid you will be disappointed as the handle and loft is rather short which makes it an exceptional face lathering brush.

My advise is spend the time to break in your 1305. It will soften into a very acceptable brush for making lather in a shaving bowl.

+1. My 1305 took quite a while to start working well, almost gave up on it. If you feel it works well now you are in for a pleasant surprise once it breaks in.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My suggestion is to get the Duke 3. This is a great multi-purpose brush and handles perfectly well both creams and soaps, either in bowl or on face.

+1 Boar is great once it is broken in. I have a SOC and the B&B Essential Omega boar and they are breaking in nicely

My suggestion is to get the Duke 3. This is a great multi-purpose brush and handles perfectly well both creams and soaps, either in bowl or on face.

You do know that after I sold my Duke 3 a few weeks ago I have another one in transit to me as we speak :lol:

Great all round brush and it was lame of me to sell mine in the first place but I've remedied my mistake :001_smile I just hope the new one is as nice as the one I sold. Brushes are like people. Each one is different

The Duke family (Duke 1, 2, and 3)

proxy.php

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
You do know that after I sold my Duke 3 a few weeks ago I have another one in transit to me as we speak :lol:

Great all round brush and it was lame of me to sell mine in the first place but I've remedied my mistake :001_smile I just hope the new one is as nice as the one I sold. Brushes are like people. Each one is different

The Duke family (Duke 1, 2, and 3)

proxy.php

Mick, I'm pretty sure you'll love your D3 when it will be back. And, by the way, lovely "noble" family... :thumbup:

+1 on waiting for the Semogue to break in my 2000 took a few weeks but after that it was amazing. If you feel you still want to buy a Simpson my vote is for the Colonel, it works great on soaps and creams and you won't break the bank.

This is very good advice. I'm somewhat new to wet shaving and I started with an AOS pure badger and hated the brush at first and bought a different brush. After using the AOS and breaking it in it turns out to be a decent brush. I also have a simpson chubby 2 which I love but it is a good idea to fully break in brush to decide if you like it or not.

Top Bottom