What's new

Not for the faint-hearted PIF

What?

I have a used clear demonstrator Ahab that was a PIF from a fine member here who is well respected and knows his pens, yet struggled with this one. It was sent to me when I lost my Ahab and he wanted to encourage me to stick with fountain pens and said he wished me more success with the pen than he had. Sadly, it is over.

Why?

This pen is not Ahab, a somewhat rational male, who just had white whale AD. This is Jezebel, with a heart as black as her namesake! I really wanted this to work. It feels right in my hand. When she writes, she makes even me look good. Yet just when I think I have her finally figured out, for no logical reason, she does something totally unexpected. She starts weeping ink for no good reason. She refuses to start writing. She will start and stop in the same word several time and make me repeat what I just wrote.

Nathan has a great idea with this pen. I really like the size. I love the simplicity. It has such potential, but I just can’t do it anymore. The frustration isn’t worth it. I have invested far too much time, effort and emotion into this pen. We have to go our separate ways. I haven’t found anyone else, it just isn’t working. It isn’t me though it is all her!

If you think you have it in you to develop a working relationship with her, you are welcome to try.

How?

Four Requirements
a) You have to have suffered, tried, and failed, despite your best efforts, at something that you really wanted to work. Whether it was with a woman, a pet, a job, a pen, shaving gear, something. If your life has been all wine and roses, this isn’t for you.
b) This pen requires work. If you want to ink this up and go, it isn’t for you.
c) If it doesn’t work out, I just ask you send her on her way in a PIF to someone else. There has to be someone out there for her.
d) Simply post “Been There, Done That” and you are entered.

If you have a contributor badge, or if you say you have contributed to B&B through the buck-a-sale on the BST, you will be entered twice. Names will be entered into random.org and this will run until sometime between March 10[SUP]th[/SUP] and March 17[SUP]th[/SUP] dependent upon when I will be able to get to the Post Office.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Wow what a super PiF!

Does second place get two Ahabs? Sorry, just kidding. :001_tt2:

Lol I hope this isnt someones first FP, do the ahabs have the "flex" really how bad can they be that they still sell them, has anyone tried to play with the nib to adjust flow ?

BTW awesome PIF, there must be a thread from the winner on the ups and apparent downs of this guy if for nothing but a life lesson

Saw this. Starts talking about it at 54 seconds. Is this the same pen? nice PIF, not in as I'm a newb still.

Last edited by a moderator:
“Been There, Done That”

I don't even want to start talking about what frustrates me... thanks for the opportunity.

Saw this. Starts talking about it at 54 seconds. Is this the same pen? nice PIF, not in as I'm a newb still.

Having used an Ahab, got to say I was loling hard at that video.

Hope someone enjoys it

Last edited by a moderator:
I normally don't post "Not in, but awesome PIF's" but as I was eating my ramen, and had to fight hard to not snort it, I had to post. Maybe it is because something about it dealt with what I have been trying to do recently, but your description hit me hard. Very funny. While I am not in, I do appreciate the laughs, and I hope you find this little succubus a good home. :D

Been there, done that. I'm married with children. Teen aged children. :lol:

Just kidding: the family is great. My struggles come in other areas.

A very generous PIF.

Unfortunately, I consider myself far too green, in the world of FPs, to consider rehabilitating a problem pen just now. Good luck to all who enter!

LOL "Been there, done that"

If I win this, I will do the following: ( if I don't, this info might be useful to the winner )

1) I'm assuming Mr5x5 has done the normal things to try and fix the ahab. Adjusting the feed and nib, removing the breather tube etc. If not I would try these first.
2) I would try and send it back to the manufacturer or try and get a new feed and Nib.
3) If i couldn't get it to work, after all the above, I would order a regular nib from xfountainpens.com ( pick whichever you like, I would go with a 1.1 or 1.5 calligraphy )
4) If none of the above work, I would take the pen apart and use the barrel for one of these:
proxy.php

Just kidding, I don't recommend this option.

Great PIF!

"Been there, Done that" - I've got a '79 mazda RX7 that's parked out back rusting away while I try to get parts for it. It came looking like a slight fix-er-upper that just needed brake pads, an oil change and a set of points on the distributor...

Right now she needs an engine rebuild, radiator, alternator, slave cyl... and more parts than you'd probably like to imagine.

Last edited:
Actually one of the first things to do is give it a good clean with a tiny bit of dawn in water. New pens often have a oily residuefrom manufacturing that inhibits good ink flow. The problem persists until it is washed out. There also may be a bit of dried ink under the nib or in the feed ink channel. A bit of a bath in the ultrasonic cleaner will take care of that issue.
rob

Top Bottom