What's new

New razor coming my way tomorrow need a few reviews pro's and con's

I am headed back to WCS tomorrow to grab a new razor or two. My picks are either a Merkur Futur, Progress or a Vision or maybe a combination of two. Can owners of the three razors I listed give me some pro's and con's. I have had a hard time gathering enough real feedback regarding these razors. Are there special cleaning instructions for these type razors? How is the finish on these razors? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I own all 3.

The finish on the Futur and Vision are applied (anodized) the progress is plated.

The progress is the mildest, Vision is middle, and the Futur shows the most blade. The Futur set on 1 is more aggressive then the progress opened wide open. Out of the group I think the Progress is the sexiest (I have a BRW custom Progress) but the best shaver of the group is the Vision 2000 by a country mile. If you can get used to something that is several times larger than most razors it is one fine shaving machine. Close, smooth, no surprises from this one.

Left to right (to give an idea of size)

Vision - Futur - long Super Adjustable - long Progress - short Progress

proxy.php

Is cleaning the progress an easy or difficult taks? How is the finish over time.

It is just like any nickel plated 2 piece razor. The cap comes off and the knob comes out of the handle. I've had 7 progress razors over the years and all have held up fine for me. Now I only have 1 Progress (a custom made one)

proxy.php

Great info Turtle. I just traded my Futur for a Vision and was worried the Vision was more aggressive in terms of blade gap. Using the Futur for WTG on a 2 or 3 was no problem for me, but ATG on even 1 was like playing Russian Roulette sometimes. It's definitely a biter for me. Then again, based on the whiskers in the sink bowl and smooth feel, the Futur is a very effective 2 pass shaver. Always DFS without the third pass, though for a good 3 pass BBS I usually break out the tech and do some buffing.

Is the anodized finish more durable than the plated version?

Last edited:
I own all 3.

The finish on the Futur and Vision are applied (anodized) the progress is plated.

The progress is the mildest, Vision is middle, and the Futur shows the most blade. The Futur set on 1 is more aggressive then the progress opened wide open. Out of the group I think the Progress is the sexiest (I have a BRW custom Progress) but the best shaver of the group is the Vision 2000 by a country mile. If you can get used to something that is several times larger than most razors it is one fine shaving machine. Close, smooth, no surprises from this one.

MerkurFuturVision
Length4.33" (11cm)4.8" (12.2cm)
Head width2.030" (5.2cm)2.025" (5.1cm)
Blade to top of cover.065" (0.2cm).065" (0.2cm)
Weight4.4 oz (125 grams)4.37 oz (124 grams)
Blade coverSnap onTTO butterfly
Settings1 - 6 (numbers)V I S I O N (letters)

Left to right (to give an idea of size)

Vision - Futur - long Super Adjustable - long Progress - short Progress

proxy.php
damm Turtle, did you have to mention the vision was the best shaver BY A COUNTY MILE. Just when I thought my new mergress was shaving nirvana above all others.

Is the anodized finish more durable than the plated version?

The anodized finish is on the fragile side compared to a plated razor which is a hard metal plating. I have seen B&B members destroy the finish by putting similar razors in diluted bleach (which dissolves and removed the finish). Other razors that have the same/similar finish are the Feather AS-D1 and the iKon OSS so it is a common finish for high end razors

As long as you don't abuse them the finish should last for a long time. Don't soak them in cleaning solutions, use only a soft tooth brush and dish soap to clean any soap residue.

You should also be aware that the Futur has a reputation for biting the hand that holds it. Go over my Futur tips/hints post for some heads up about what to do but more important what NOT to do if you should get that model razor

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/266069?p=3690449#post3690449

damm Turtle, did you have to mention the vision was the best shaver BY A COUNTY MILE. Just when I thought my new mergress was shaving nirvana above all others.

I have to force myself to NOT to use the Vision too much otherwise I would not use any of my other razors. For me it is in the top two performing razors I own. The other is one is the Cobra. I have to force myself to not use the Cobra that often for the same reason.

Most people who don't like the Vision, don't like it because it is so large and it does take a while to get used to man handling it around your face. Once you get comfortable with it you can shave closer and faster with it than most other razors.

If I am in a hurry and need a quick BBS shave I always reach for the Vision without hesitation.

The anodized finish is on the fragile side compared to a plated razor which is a hard metal plating. I have seen B&B members destroy the finish by putting similar razors in diluted bleach (which dissolves and removed the finish). Other razors that have the same/similar finish are the Feather AS-D1 and the iKon OSS so it is a common finish for high end razors

The finish of the Feather AS-D1 may look similar but it is matte chrome plated. Here is the info straight from Feather.

So I wrote to the Feather Shaving company in Japan. This came back:

"Firstly, we very much appreciate being so interested in our products, All Stainless razor.

Regarding your questions, please be advised that the material used in this products is, of course, stainless steel, and its surface is treated with matte chrome-plating for protection of the overall appearance of razor.

We are afraid that it would be difficult to give you further details of the element used and how the finish is produced as those details are classified as company secrets.

Thank you very much again for your interest in our products, and we will appreciate your loyal patronage for our products in the future.

Best regards,
=================================
Tsuyoshi Ishiyama
FEATHER SAFETY RAZOR CO., LTD.
OVERSEAS TRADE DIVISION"

So there ya go. Stainless with some sort of matte chrome finish that Feather will not reveal :)

Also, according to the descriptions at West Coast, the satin Futur and Vision are chrome plated with satin finish.

$fp.JPG

$vCapture.JPG

The Futur is also available in shiny Chrome and Gold plating.

$Capture.JPG $gfut.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the great info. I am 100% positive a futur will be in my basket tomorrow along with a B&B brush, a few aftershaves, and a major step for me a straight razor or atleast a shavette. I am itching to try a straight razor and can't wait to see how that turns out.

I have the Futur which gives me effortless shaves due to it's weight. I don't have to "push" it around. Some have said it's difficult to get under the nose area but once proficient with it this has not been a problem for me. I'm a huge fan of it and it's one in my rotation that I reach for every now & then. Good luck with yours!

I have a Progress 510 (long) and a futur. the futur was my first razor. I still like using it but the 510 is quickly moving up the ranks to be one of my favourite razors of all time.

if you can afford all three then buy them, you probably will anyway so may as well do it now.

Top Bottom