What's new

First Blade, First Shave

Hello everyone. So I just got done with my first straight razor shave (at least first that I have done). I have to say other than a slight area of razor burn from starting out it was AMAZING!!!!!

So here's the setup...

Awesome custom blade (Thank you Seraphim)
Edward Jagger Aloe Vera Shave Soap
B&B Essential Brush
Jack Black Cooling Post Shave Gel
and a finishing touch of D.R. Harris Windsor

I am definitely hooked!!!!!

Awesome!! I'm stuck using this shavette I have until my first real Straight Razor comes in from Whipped Dog. :thumbup1:

Awesome!! I'm stuck using this shavette I have until my first real Straight Razor comes in from Whipped Dog. :thumbup1:

I just got my package today from Whipped Dog, a very very nice Wade and Butcher hollow ground with a silvertip brush and strop. I kinda went a little crazy picking up supplies before I had even tried shaving. The good thing about that is now I have two razors in the rotation.

To be honest I was a little surprised that I only had a small knick on the side of my chin, but other than and a little beginners razor burn I didn't have any issues aand most of my blood is still on the inside.

I just got my package today from Whipped Dog, a very very nice Wade and Butcher hollow ground with a silvertip brush and strop. I kinda went a little crazy picking up supplies before I had even tried shaving. The good thing about that is now I have two razors in the rotation.
I ordered mine with just the strop. What did the silver tip brush run you all together?

Good snag from WD. My sight unseen razor was not half so sexy as a W&B and the name on the tang, Porcupine, was an ominous omen. An incorrect omen, but ominous nonetheless.

Glad to hear you have two razors. If you accidentally dull one stropping, you'll still have one you can use. Sounds like you're making great progress on the shaving as well. It took me nearly two months to get shaves as close as with a DE, but now it's a regular event. Don't rush it. Enjoy the progress and the cookies.

I ordered a sight unseen razor, rich mans strop and the silver tip brush & soap combo, total was $130 all together.

Glad to hear you have two razors. If you accidentally dull one stropping, you'll still have one you can use. Sounds like you're making great progress on the shaving as well. It took me nearly two months to get shaves as close as with a DE, but now it's a regular event. Don't rush it. Enjoy the progress and the cookies.

Yeah I am going to try stropping tonight, I've read all I think I can about the process, now just a matter of doing it...FEAR, yet another road to the dark side

Yeah I am going to try stropping tonight, I've read all I think I can about the process, now just a matter of doing it...FEAR, yet another road to the dark side

Medic,
Let go of the fear. You WILL cut the strop...unless you're some sort of freakish natural genius at stropping. I cut or nicked mine nearly every day for the first two weeks before it started to make sense. Get some 600 grit sandpaper so you can buff those nicks out and just keep trucking.

I was so bad at stropping, that I've never even used the Kanayama I bought. I was afraid I'd destroy it when it arrived and so I put it in my sock drawer (laid flat of course and still in its wrapping. By the time I was reliably stropping without incident, I'd received a used but like new Tony Miller and have been using that. The kanayama is still tucked away and out of sight.

So, tear the hell out of that strop, fix it up then tear it up again. Eventually, stropping will be like a zen thing for you and you'll do it like Nureyev doing a pirouette.

Congratulations on your first shave..it loads of fun with a straight razor than a de. It kinda relaxing which makes you want to shave all the time :)

Top Bottom