What's new

Get Your Hike On! - Picture Thread

I see you're from L.A.

That wouldn't happen to be Conecuh would it? I fell in love with the Conecuh National Forest back in my scouting days.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Aha! No, though I've been there ... and spent a lot of time in the Blackwater River State Forest just south.

No; this is in the Pensacola area.

AA

This is what I like about my area. There are cities near enough I can go if needed, but surrounding my little village it's just endless farmland and lakes. All the lakes are surrounded by miles and miles of nature preserves and hiking trails. I can literally take a twenty minute walk from my house and feel like I'm camping in the middle of nowhere.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
exactly! an urban escape, taken frequently, is better than a full-blown one that only happens once in a while ... you don't need to go 70 miles to test your gear. That was a mosquito hammock I hadn't used before.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I call it "daycamping." There's an alcohol stove or an Esbit cube stove in that pack, along with a dehydrated entrée. Boil water and have a hot meal ... cup of tea if it's cold.

Have a radio- and phone of course- but mostly I just listen to the wind blow. Could read a book. That day, I had set the hammock up with a proper (tighter) sling, but the sun was actually too warm, so I moved to a shadier spot.

I typically go far enough off a trail that nobody can see, but close enough to find it again! 100 yds. or so.

Off trail hiking is the best. I used to just take a compass, but generally feel better with a mini GPS.

That old saying "100% of people will walk in a circle without (guidance)."

There's little risk; an hour in any direction would hit a road. Or trail.

End of day: go home. No tent to strike, cooler to drain, fire to put out ... daycamping is better than not going.

AA

Last edited:
I went on a hike a couple of months ago called the Kuliouou Ridge Trail. It was a, long, 5 mile hike that peaked at 2,054 feet (626 meters) and took us just under 4 hours. Great hike if anybody finds themselves on Oahu.

$DSC_0086.jpg$DSC_0098_2.jpg$DSC_0108.jpg

The LOML and I did a 10 mile hike through the Bayard Conservation Area. Typical Florida hiking - very flat - but was good to get some miles in. We've had heavy rain recently so some spots were flooded and we had to make our way around. Saw three deer, and indigo snake, bald eagle, five golden orb spiders, and a bunch of ground spiders. A good day. Here's the view from the point, looking out over the St. Johns River.
$uploadfromtaptalk1447277793014.jpg

Headed to Mt. Rogers (Grayson Highlands State Park) in Virginia this weekend with 18 Boy scouts and 7 dads. Weather looks perfect. I'll post some pics on return on Sunday.

Backpacking this past weekend in NC mountains. Shot of a beautiful 80' waterfall and my tent beside a nice, babbling creek.

$IMG_0808.jpg

$IMG_0806.jpg

Here are the Mt. Rogers pics. Perfect weather with highs in high 40's and lows near 20.

$IMG_0767.jpg$IMG_0772.jpg$IMG_0773.jpg$IMG_0787.jpg

Headed to Mt. Rogers (Grayson Highlands State Park) in Virginia this weekend with 18 Boy scouts and 7 dads. Weather looks perfect. I'll post some pics on return on Sunday.

Top Bottom