What's new

Get Your Hike On! - Picture Thread

A friend and I went to the House Range in west Utah over the weekend. We hiked Notch Peak, a mountain with a 9654 foot summit and a 2200 foot cliff on the north side. On a good day you can see Great Basin National Park in Nevada to the west, the Wasatch Mountains to the east, and the Bonneville Salt Flats to the north. Visibility wasn't good this weekend, though.

Notch Peak:
$0831141413c.jpg

The view across the gorge from the summit:
$0831141228.jpg

The canyon, about halfway up the trail:
$0831141301.jpg

This grove of Bristlecone Pines is across a saddle from the peak. Some of them are over 3000 years old.
$0831141417a.jpg

Last edited:
Did a big hike yesterday. 16 + miles with about 4500' of gain. Tagged West Bond which I skipped on my Pemi backpack last fall due to exhaustion. Sadly, my little Canon camera may be gone in the woods. I can't find it and I was so exhausted at the truck that I don't recall seeing it. :mad3:

Hope the camera turns up. Love to see the photos. So that hike is like ascending Washington plus another 12 miles?!

I guess vertical wise it's something like that but there are some nice easy miles on the Twinway (AT) that don't readily translate to how painful ascending anything in the Presidentials are. I did the first 3 miles in an hour, then it goes vertical.

Sadly, I'm pretty sure the camera is toast. I stopped for a nature call on the way out. When I dropped my pack I think it came off my belt. Not my finest hour.

A quick video of a paddle and hike I did with a buddy last weekend in Algonquin Park (Ontario Canada). We paddled the Barron River Caynon on Saturday (15km round trip), then a quick (1km) hike along part of it on the Sunday. Sorry for the shaky video, but it is my Contour handheld.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went on a perfect hike with my fiancé and some friends on Saturday. We were about 6,000 feet up the side of Mt. Hood at the timber line. The weather was a beautiful 75° and sunny. Couldn't have asked for a better day.

$IMG_1517.jpg

Without further ado here is my little picture write up of my incredible trip to Baxter State Park last Thursday through Saturday. We were blessed with perfect weather, peak foliage, and time off.

I picked up my hiking buddy, Nate at 04:30. I had four hours of sleep and he had three. When then drove four hours and hiked seven and a half. Crazy day. We ascended Helon Taylor trail which is a rock and root fest that ascends very steeply in spots. You then get a 30 foot down hike and 30 foot rock scramble in the "Chimney". It culminates with a traverse of the "Knife Edge", which is a section where the trail shrinks to 2-3 feet wide with 2000 foot drop offs on each side....good times.

First views breaking out of the trees
$First valley views.jpg

Hamlin Peak
$Hamlin from Helon.jpg

Pic of me looking out to the valley that Nate took on his cell.
$Me from HT.jpg

Why we came
$Money shot.jpg

Top Bottom