What's new

Get Your Hike On! - Picture Thread

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Was in Coconut Grove, FL (near Miami) this past weekend. Walked a little ways through the Barnacle Historic State Park.

Right before I stumbled upon this tree I was holding a leaf in my hand. I read this, dropped the leaf and was worried it was from this tree!. It wasn't thankfully, but not a good idea to mess with the foliage in a unfamiliar climate.

Some crazy looking trees down there that I've never seen before.

Congratulations, Dirk! Quite an accomplishment. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Cool pictures, Jason. Hope you enjoyed Florida!

Thanks for the compliments. However, I've started following what Scott Jurek is doing....I'm playing tiddlywinks.

That's a supported run - he's got a crew and a place to sleep every night. You and your friend did it all on your own, carrying everything you would need.

This isn't to take anything away from Scott, it's an incredible effort and looks like he will easily break the record, but it's not a 1:1 comparison with what you did.

Last week the LOML and I went to St. John (USVI). There are quite a few hiking trail on the island and we availed ourselves of a few. Here are a couple of pictures.

This first one was a relatively easy hike of 1 mile, although all uphill (on the way up) and exposed to the sun the entire way. Very rocky trail but the views were definitely worth it.
$rams-head.jpg

The second hike was much more challenging. We started at Reef Bay Trail, which descends 936 feet over 2.5 miles. It is mostly shaded and through the woods. We saw so many deer in the woods! They had no fear of humans (they probably see quite a few, plus they are in a national park so no hunting). Once we reached the bottom of that trail we backtracked about 0.5 miles to Lameshur Bay Trail. This trail ascends 475 feet in about .75 miles. Very steep! It then meanders down to Lameshur Bay where we did some snorkeling before making the long trek back. It ended up being slightly more than 8 miles of hiking with more than half going uphill.

Here's the view from the top of the Lameshur Bay trail looking out over Little and Big Lameshur Bay.
$lameshure-bay.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. Been to St. Thomas so many times and have heard the recommendations to get over to St. John and haven't done it. Next time! Looks great!

Been a while but, oh yeah, I got it on yesterday. Last 2.5 miles not showing due to battery demise.

$image.jpg

Wave after wave of peaks. It's glorious.
$image.jpg

$image.jpg

I always try to finish strong.
$image.jpg

I need to get to a better Province, or maybe a State? I don't have anything near some of these awesome views!
I manage a couple miles of this today though:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I was accused of enjoying my life yesterday ... indeed I was!

The whole reason you carry all that stuff on a hike is to use it ... so when I got tired, no. To make the day in the woods last, I went off-trail in a North Florida state forest, and pitched a hammock somewhere in yonder.

I am a fan of the Spec Ops gear; the pack is the kryptek typhon version of their daypack. There's food, water, shelter, tools etc. for a few days. Or a lazy afternoon ...

AA

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
That's the life!

This weather demands outdoor appreciation! Too long a hot summer with a/c ...

This "forest" is a short drive. The real one is an hour, and a big deal getting time off to go ... it's important to grab what outdoors you can with what time you have.

AA

Top Bottom