What's new

Get Your Hike On! - Picture Thread

Catskill Mountains, NY

$hike Aug 2013.jpg

Tom

18 mile loop today. Pics tomorrow, too exhausted now.

Edit* Pics came out horrible. Here is one decent one looking in to the heart of the Pemigewasset wilderness from North Twin Mtn. Hardest hike of the year so far. 5300' of gain on this one. I'm sore.

$Twins_Guyot_Zealand_Hale 088.jpg

Last edited:
$IMAG0122.jpg
$IMAG0107.jpg

Here are some pictures from a recent backpacking trip in southern California to San Gorgonio. It wasnt the best trip I have ever had but having it only be an hour from my home was great. Anyone living in southern california looking for a short (2-3 days) trip, this is a great choice! Just make sure to bring lots of water because its pretty scarce once you get out on the trail

Edit* Pics came out horrible. Here is one decent one looking in to the heart of the Pemigewasset wilderness from North Twin Mtn. Hardest hike of the year so far. 5300' of gain on this one. I'm sore.

View attachment 362256
Was wondering what happened! More elevation gain than summitting Mt. Washington from Pinkham notch! Sore for a week after that ascent and descent! Keep posting photos...love this area of the country! Has to be a lifetime of hikes in the White Mts. Looks like you had a great day weather wise.

Last edited:
Couple of pics from a light hike at Yamadera in Yamagata Japan.
$IMG_4338.jpg$IMG_4357.jpg

At the top of Mt. Murone in Iwate Japan.
Kind of hard for me to watch because all that brown in the distance by the sea is my town after it was washed away by the 3/11 Tsunami.
$2012-06-12_1339459235.jpg

Beautiful pictures Senshi, and I'm very sorry about your town. I hope you were able to recover and rebuild quickly.

Thanks A3MON, almost all of the rubble/ wreckage has been cleared and now it's all about surveying land and determining property lines. But they have come a long way and thankfully I'm still alive :)

Nice! I've always wanted to go the Porkies but we've just never gotten around to making the trip. These pictures have renewed my interest in going there!

Been busy with speech contest practice with my kids, going to try and go for a hike this weekend, try to keep you all posted.

I have a goal to section hike the lengths of the Florida Trail and Appalachian Trail between when I turn 30 (in November) and when I turn 40. The southern terminus of the FLT is in Big Cypress National Preserve, about an hour from my house. I've been hiking through Big Cypress since my teenage years. The nice thing is you can't really get lost bushwhacking. You just walk north until you hit US 41 or I-75. I wanted to shakedown a new GPS app I put on my phone, so I bushwhacked through a favorite cypress pond then hunted for orchids. I wanted to see how well the phone could get me back to the trail. As usual, GPS didn't have anything on local knowledge and compass.

I hiked in three miles (bushwhacking) and two miles back on the Florida Trail. The trail is well worn, and was about a foot deeper than when I was bushwhacking. Most of the hike was between knee and waist deep. My hips and calves are going to feel it tomorrow!

As I was getting out of my wet shoes in the parking lot, several people on the boardwalk were stunned that you could actually walk in the Everglades and not die. Gotta love it.

On to the pics! All pics link to Flickr, or you can catch the set here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandonhollingshead/sets/72157635399609296/

FLT 2013-09-05 Big Cypress Oasis to Loop

FLT 2013-09-05 Big Cypress Oasis to Loop Ankle Deep

FLT 2013-09-05 Big Cypress Oasis to Loop Knee Deep

FLT 2013-09-05 Big Cypress Oasis to Loop Waist Deep

FLT 2013-09-05 Big Cypress Oasis to Loop Cypress Dome approach

FLT 2013-09-05 Big Cypress Oasis to Loop Epiphytes

FLT 2013-09-05 Big Cypress Oasis to Loop Pond Bushwhacking

FLT 2013-09-05 Big Cypress Oasis to Loop Back on Trail / Orange Blazes

FLT 2013-09-05 Big Cypress Oasis to Loop Almost Back

Nice shots! I've been in Big Cypress, but in my Jeep! You must not have been too far from where Bear Grylls filmed that episode of Man vs. Wild.

I gave up on my SW Florida trail run when the majority became covered with anywhere from ankle to knee deep water, mostly to preserve my running shoes. It has been a super wet rainy season. It'll be well into dry season, maybe December, before I go back out there, I think.
Here is the trail in Lee County in late June:

And what finds its way into your sneakers after 4 miles:

Last edited:
Looking forward to these shots! Park at Pinkham Notch, summit Washington from AT and Tuckerman's, then AT from the summit of Washington to Crawford Notch?

Last edited:
Top Bottom