What's new

Get Your Hike On! - Picture Thread

OK. Another hike for today. Philmont Scout Ranch in July 2011. Great trip. 88 miles of hiking 10 days on the trail plus warm-up hikes = over 100 miles. 9 teenagers and 3 dads together 24/7 for 16 days and not a single cross word. Truly an outstanding group of young men. We made over 2 million collective steps without a single injury.

If you're a scouter, especially with a son in the program and you get a chance to go to Philont, get all over it. Extremely well run program and an experience that both you and your son will cherish for as long as you live.

That's me third from right on back row and my son (then 14) is last on right on back row,

$Group photo.jpg

This is some of our Scouts atop Mt. Baldy at 12,441'. What a view.
$IMG_5973.jpg

I'm at Bert Adams Scout Reservation all weekend with my son and hundreds of other cub scouts. Right now I'm in a secluded camp enjoying alone time by a fire. Earlier my son and I took a short hike after our dinner. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397270846.681350.jpg

Boy Scout hike this weekend in Roan Highlands of Southern Appalachians. Hiked 5 miles each way north from Carver's Gap on NC/TN line. Photo below is Saturday after sunrise atop Round Bald at 5,800'. I was too warm/lazy to get up for actual sunrise.

$IMG_2045.jpg

No pics right now, but I did get my backcountry permit for my trip back to the Grand Canyon in October! Very psyched.

Ok, fine, here are a couple pics...

Looking out from Ribbon Falls on the North Kaibab trail:
proxy.php

proxy.php

remove the "?1" from the filename to see full size.

Managed to get a nice little overnight backpack in yesterday. My knee held up surprisingly well. More pics to come when I get the images off the camera.
$image.jpg

$image.jpg

I took this picture a few weeks ago, its just on the edge of the Peak District. It was one of the first hot days of the summer, UK hot that is. Unfortunately it has pretty much rained since then.

Here's a few choice shots from my little shakedown hike of my ever changing UL backpacking setup. I have a rather arduous section hike planned for the week after 7/4 and was looking to see how my gear and recently injured knee would hold up. My overnight setup checked in at just under 19lbs with food and 3.5 litres of water. I felt like I was cheating.:blush:

My pack carried so nice I almost forgot it was there. Love my new tent. Just need to test my seam sealing job before we head out. I may add a few more pics off my phone. 12 miles total for my loop.

Camping at Unknown Pond. My new Tarptent Notch and my new Gossamer Gear Gorilla. I've actually had both since last winter. First real test.
$IMG_1643.jpg

Unknown Pond.
$IMG_1649.jpg

The view from my campsite in the AM. Those are the Presidentials looking north to south.
$IMG_1656.jpg

Trillium lit by sunset.
$IMG_1653.jpg

Ok, last shot. Not sure how it will translate here but this is a iPhone panorama of the view from the top of the Horn, which is the mountain you see in the unknown pond shot above. It captures the Northern Whites plus the two additional peaks of my hike, Mt. Cabot and The Bulge.

$image.jpg

Here's a few choice shots from my little shakedown hike of my ever changing UL backpacking setup. I have a rather arduous section hike planned for the week after 7/4 and was looking to see how my gear and recently injured knee would hold up. My overnight setup checked in at just under 19lbs with food and 3.5 litres of water. I felt like I was cheating.:blush:

My pack carried so nice I almost forgot it was there. Love my new tent. Just need to test my seam sealing job before we head out. I may add a few more pics off my phone. 12 miles total for my loop.

Camping at Unknown Pond. My new Tarptent Notch and my new Gossamer Gear Gorilla. I've actually had both since last winter. First real test.
View attachment 459035

Unknown Pond.
View attachment 459037

The view from my campsite in the AM. Those are the Presidentials looking north to south.
View attachment 459038

Trillium lit by sunset.
View attachment 459049
Pond is nice enough to be named! Great shots!

Only a 20 minute drive from my house, but the old Marmora Mines are a neat little place to go wandering.
Funny, been there longer than I been alive and I just got around to going!
$IMAG1677.jpg
$IMAG1678.jpg
$IMAG1681.jpg

Capitol Reef National Park

This canyon was so narrow that I had to hold my pack above my head and squeeze through sideways-

$0607141233.jpg

This is a picture of Cassidy Arch, taken from the Frying Pan trail-

$0607141714.jpg

And this is Brimhall Bridge, in the southern part of the park-

$0608141401.jpg

Very nice, Aaron. Just don't go getting stuck and cutting off your arm.
Thanks. Don't worry-I would never hike a slot alone.
I need to take a lesson from you, Seth, and pack lighter and smaller. My day pack weighs way more than 19 pounds and it's too fat to take in the canyons.

Top Bottom