What's new

Get Your Hike On! - Picture Thread

Last Friday I managed to get out for a beautiful bluebird day and hike Mt. Carrigan. It's a unique summit for the White's as it has a observation tower and unobstructed 360 degree views of essentially the entire WMNF.

Garter snake escaping

$IMG_1772.jpg

Summit in site when you break out to an open saddle
$IMG_1773.jpg

The Presidentials with Washington in the clouds
$IMG_1779.jpg

This is a great overview of the entire Pemigewasset wilderness. From the lower left going clockwise you can trace Franconia ridge. In the middle you can see the summit of Garfield peaking up just over the ridgeline, then to the right South and North Twin. Finally follow it around to Guyot and the Bonds. Basically an entire overview of the backpack I did last fall as an overnight.
$IMG_1777.jpg

Love that area!

I waited three years to make this day trip and do some light hiking in Catalunya: Montserrat. As my wife tied this trip into a lunch and vineyard visit, I didn't get to explore as much of the mountain as I wanted, but there is always the next trip! About an hour's drive from Barcelona, following the Llobregat River, you reach the 10 km road that winds its way up to the Monastery.

Now, we could have parked at the bottom and hiked our way to the highest peak of St. Jeroni, but we had other things to do! We saw the Monastery and The Black Madonna (Go ahead, touch the orb!)...

...then took the funicular higher (I know! We could have hiked up, but time was wasting!), and began hiking. The path is gravel with loose rocks, for the most part, but there are some areas that I wouldn't call easy walking. We made our way to this hermitage...

...then a little higher...

...then started down those steps. We didn't get all the way to Sant Jordi, but it was a decent day hike with tremendous views of Catalunya, and the Monastery is mind blowing.

Last edited:
Here's another hiking opportunity in Barcelona. You can get transportation all the way to the top, but you'd miss out on a cool hike to the city's highest point, Tibidabo. We saw wild boars, including 6 juveniles. There were many MTBs making the ascent in low gear.

About half way up, the cathedral still looked far away!

The view of BCN

Last edited:
I did Logan pass when I was working in Glacier. I was there for four and a half months and didn't feel like I did half of the east side hikes, and almost none of the west side hikes. Beautiful country.

Great pics. I had my knee scoped yesterday so I'll be on the sidelines watching for the next three weeks. Not feeling to bad about it as the weather has take a turn for the suck here in NE. The section hike I was going to do next week would have been less than fun in the humidity and Tstorms.

My surgeon was surprised that I was able to hike/backpack on my meniscus tear. He said it was one of the biggest he's seen in his 25 years of practice.

$006.jpg$008.jpg$016.jpg
Hidden Lake Trail and lake, Glacier National Park. The mountian goat was walking down the trail, I moved out of it's way! The sheep were a stone throw away.

Last edited:
Very nice, tukyou. Are these recent shots? I've always wanted to see a mountain goat and bighorn sheep.

Last summer actually. Been to Glacier three times, there is so much to see and hard to get more than a couple hikes done in a day. Bought a good little hikes book on Glacier the second time that listed trails by length of time and sites. We consentrated on short hikes to waterfalls off the main road (Going To The Sun Road) and we're able to do several that day and see alot of great sightes. If you do Hidden Lake be at the gate at opening and do it first. The trail starts from a visitor center at about the half way point as you cross over the Continental Divide, parking can fill up quick and the treak can take half a day or so depending how far you go (to the overlook or to the lake) and how often you stop to smell the flowers.$001.jpg$005.jpg$013.jpg$019.jpg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
holy cow..er goat!

Are they that used to people? I bet some folks have been feeding them.

I'm in CO and used to hike a lot. Work and a small kid have re-prioritized my time a bit. Mountain goats are harder to come by and they are pretty big, so I kept my distance on this one, probably 30 ft away (circa 1998). Bighorn Sheep are common to see from the highway while driving up to ski in the wintertime.

$Mt Princeton 8-98.jpg

holy cow..er goat!

Are they that used to people? I bet some folks have been feeding them.

They pretty much just walk right buy and seem to not even notice you. More so the goats than the sheep. The animals in Yosemite are just as much if not more this way. Went there again the summer before last, I'll post some of those photos also in the next couple days.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
They pretty much just walk right buy and seem to not even notice you. More so the goats than tyhe sheep. The animals in Yosemite are just as much if not more this way. Went there again the summer before last, I'll post some of those photos also inthe next couple days.
That's interesting. They don't fear humans. I never thought about it before. After decades of tourists they don't see us as a threat.

Top Bottom