What's new

Getting a kayak

A friend wants to sell me 2 kayaks for $500. One is a Potomac and the other is a Trophy 126 DLX. Both have never even touched water. Anyone know anything about these? My first kayak so I am pretty well in the dark. What else will I likely need?

A friend wants to sell me 2 kayaks for $500. One is a Potomac and the other is a Trophy 126 DLX. Both have never even touched water. Anyone know anything about these? My first kayak so I am pretty well in the dark. What else will I likely need?
What kind of kayaking are you planning to do? River/creek, play boating, flat water touring, fishing? There are so many different types of boats to paddle and waters to hit that it's impossible to make suggestions without knowing more details!

Probably doing a bit of fishing on the lake until I get comfortable with it. Then a local river with a moderate current. Nothing too wild until I have some time into it.

Probably doing a bit of fishing on the lake until I get comfortable with it. Then a local river with a moderate current. Nothing too wild until I have some time into it.
I'm not familiar with the boats that you're looking at, but I paddle creeks and rivers with moderate (class 3ish) rapids in my Jackson Hero... i recommend at a minimum a helmet, PFD, nose clip when entering rapids, spray skirt, inflatables in the bow and stern of the boat, a whistle and a knife. If you want to go nuts get a toss bag, spray shirt and gloves for colder days, and a good pair of boat shoes (I use chuck taylors all stars because they give good protection on te rocks and the canvas dries out quickly). Have fun!

This is seeming like a good deal as he is including paddles and vests. I figure if it will hold water 500 for two doesn't seem to unreasonable

Top Bottom