What's new

Advice: What order to try the new blades from my sample pack

I get home from work to 2 surprises.

1. The Billy Jealousy shampoo, conditioner and body wash I've been meaning to try were sitting on my counter.

2. My DE blade sample pack and EJ DE89LBL were sitting at the post office.

The question I have is what order should I tackle sampling the blades?

The Sample Pack contains:
10 Astra Platinum safety razor blades.
10 Astra Stainless safety razor blades.
10 Derby safety razor blades.
10 Dorco ST-301 safety razor blades (Made in South Korea).
10 Precision safety razor blades. (Made in Israel)
10 Black Feather safety razor blades (Made in Japan)

Thanks in advance!

id just grab the first one that catches your eye !! the only way your gonna know what one works the best for you is if you try them all ...lol

I always advise new shavers to pick one blade and stick with it for at least 2 to 3 months before starting blade jumping.

After 2-3 months they should know how to shave and can start looking at different blades.

I have seen way too many new shavers grab a large "sampler package" and get awful shave after awful shave from each and every brand, blaming their problems on the razor blades and never leaning how to shave.

Pick one blade.
Prep your beard properly
Map your beard (so you know which way WTG, XTG, ATG is)
Stretch your skin while shaving
Use short rapid strokes and keep a consistent blade angle.

If you do all of the above you should be able to shave with any blade stuffed into any razor and get a perfect shave time after time.

I always advise new shavers to pick one blade and stick with it for at least 2 to 3 months before starting blade jumping.

After 2-3 months they should know how to shave and can start looking at different blades.

I have seen way too many new shavers grab a large "sampler package" and get awful shave after awful shave from each and every brand, blaming their problems on the razor blades and never leaning how to shave.

Pick one blade.
Prep your beard properly
Map your beard (so you know which way WTG, XTG, ATG is)
Stretch your skin while shaving
Use short rapid strokes and keep a consistent blade angle.

If you do all of the above you should be able to shave with any blade stuffed into any razor and get a perfect shave time after time.
+1

I should have mentioned, I've been using a Merkur 38C for the last year or so. I was using Merkur blades. I didn't know I had choices until I stumbled upon this site.

Thanks for the advice!

I should have mentioned, I've been using a Merkur 38C for the last year or so. I was using Merkur blades. I didn't know I had choices until I stumbled upon this site.

Thanks for the advice!

Well in that case just open one of each and have fun :lol:

I keep as many as a dozen different brands of blades unwrapped at a time and use which ever one suits my fancy that day

proxy.php

Thanks for the advice!

It should be a nice relief for your wallet now that you have discovered decent blades that cost 10 - 12 cents each :biggrin1:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Harp;
My humble advice is to try all the blades per brand before moving on to the next blade. That way can you improve your technique (be applying The 7 P's of Shaving...Prepare, Patience, Pressure, Practice, Persistence, Post shave and Passion (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/313490-New-Members!-The-6-P-s-of-Shaving). :thumbsup:

Also, long ago when I received my Sampler, I started a Thread entitled "In what Order should I test these Sampler Razor Blades?", and the best advice was from member Optometrist a.k.a David who stated;

"I say jump straight in with the Feathers [and then the Astra's]. Yes, they are sharp, but you learn very quickly to let the weight of the razor do the work for you. If you can get the feather right, then it's plain sailing with the others. A few nicks and cuts early on are nothing to worry about and stand you in good stead. Start with a lesser blade and it's a continual learning process as you step up the level of sharpness". :yesnod:

Also, member Npsarros stated, "Keep a spreadsheet with every shave [you], have taken, rating each blade as [you], go along". My spread data ratings reads in columns as follows;

a) Razor Blade / Country / Type

b) Sharpness? (aggressive, moderate sharpness, mild sharpness, tugging or pulling, ect...).

c) Closeness of Shave? (DFS, CCS, BBS, ect...).

d) Smoothness/Roughness of Shave? (moderately smooth, very smooth, very,very smooth, ect...).

e) Comfort of Shave? (no irratation, slight irratation, touch of burn, itching, ect...).

f) Overall Rating? (awesome, great, passable or unpleasant).

g) Compatible with your Razor(s)? (yes or no).

PM me with your e-mail address and I will send you my workable spread sheet example.

proxy.php
"A razor [blade] can't be sharpened on a piece of velvet." Author Unknown

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I agree that you should spend some time with each choice before moving to the next - with one admonition: some blades do not work with some razors. Med Preps are one of my top blades in my Mergress, but they feel like jagged steel in my Slim.

If you a getting a truly horrible shave I would try a different blade. If you still get a horrible shave you'll know it's your technique.

My humble advice is to try all the blades per brand before moving on to the next blade. That way can you improve your technique

I couldn't agree with this more. As a newbie wetshaver, I made the mistake of "skipping around" a bunch, and never really got the feel for how each razor worked with my Merkur. I jumped around a ton between different creams, soaps, blades, etc. The best advice is to start with one blade, one soap, one brush, and get your technique down before starting to mix it up.

I am one who tried 6-7 blades in 3 months, so what do I know. Anyway here's how I would answer your question:

1. 10 Astra Stainless safety razor blades.
2. 10 Astra Platinum safety razor blades.
3. 2 or 3 Derbys just so you know what you're missing.
4. 10 Dorco ST-301 safety razor blades (Made in South Korea).
5. 10 Black Feather safety razor blades (Made in Japan)

My first non-Derby was an Astra SP, it was the first time after a dozen or so wet shaves that there was no blood or pain when I was done. Use those Astras to get yourself going in the right direction, try out the Derby just because it's so prevalent you'll want to know what it like if you have to pick up a pack after leaving an airport, then move to the better blades. I don't know about Precision, so I can't really rank those.

Hope this helps, good luck.

You're not a newb so here's what I suggest. First, take notes as you go. Pick any blade, use it for at least three shaves. Use a second blade from the same pack for at least three shaves. This way you get enough time to get used to it and using a second right after you can make sure you didn't get a dud blade. Then do the same thing for all the other blades. Once you're through the first round start again. Check your notes before you use a blade again, then try at least three shaves. See if you get the same results as the first time you tried it. Some may work better than they did the first time around.

Once you're through the first and second rounds with each blade you'll proabaly have some you like and some you don't. Give away the ones you don't. Then go with the long term trial. Use the same kind of blade for at least a week, two if you can. It doesn't have to be the same blade just the same kind, replace it if it gets dull. At the end of that you'll know for sure which blades you like and which you don't. Remember to take notes all the time, then refer back to them.

If something is really ripping your face up on round one then you don't need to give it three shaves but you do need to give it a second try after a break with some other blades. If you were a newbie I'd say don't give the blades away you didn't like. Put them away and try them again in a few weeks/months after your technique improves. Sometimes what seems like a bad blade is really bad technique. If at any point your face gets really irritated take a day off or a few shaves with a known good blade so you can heal.

Scott

Thanks for all the pointers guys. I have a much better idea of how to go about trying out all the blades. I'm looking forward to diving into the sampler pack.

Top Bottom