What's new

Modern Blades in Vintage Single Edge Razors Guide

I thought it would be nice to have a thread devoted to vintage SE's that accept modern blades, with or without modification. They don't have to be standard SE blades. If you find one that will take a DE blade, injector blade, or valet blade, please post those here as well, along with photos and a description of the razor along with any necessary modifications.

The Henckels "Rapide" and Henckels "Wotan", which is basically the same thing with a thinner head. Also sold under a wide variety of brand names, all of them looking pretty much identical to this. NOTE: the original "Rapide" by Ernst Scharf lacks blade stops so will not accept modern blades. Verify that there are blade stops before purchase.

These models will accept standard single edge blades AND feather blades intended for valet auto strops.

The Wotan
proxy.php

Shrp Shavr, fused handle model (looks almost like an ABC handle, but it's hollow).

Will accept standard SE blades. Loading is a bit of a pain. I prefer to load it spine first from the front. Trying to load it from the side can cause the blade edge to rub against the guard.

proxy.php

The Very Sharp

Will accept standard single edge blades. Unscrew handle to release tension, insert blade, tighten handle. A valet blade will fit, but I cannot recommend it. The lack of a spine on it means it bows up when the handle is tightened.
proxy.php

The C V Heljestrand

The newer model in bright chrome has blade stops and will accept standard SE blades.
The older model in silver has no blade stops and will not.

proxy.php

The Perfecta

Accepts standard SE blades. There are likely earlier models than this out there, so once again, look for blade stops.

proxy.php

And for the Star Cadet razors ?
Thx

Silly me. I forgot to mention Gem/Star/Ever Ready 1912's, The Ever Ready 1914, the Ever Ready 1924, the Gem Featherweight, the Gem G-Bar, the Gem Contour, the Gem Pushbutton, The Streamline/Jewel, and of course the Auto Strops. I got so caught up in what else, that I forgot to include the stuff people most commonly use.

This Star Lather Catcher. No mods. Helps to have both retaining springs...

Last edited by a moderator:
The College Safety Razor

Standard SE's and DE's are too wide to fit (you could possibly snap off the tabs on a DE but I haven't tried it), but an injector blade can be stuck in there and clamped into place. The mechanism works similar to the "Very Sharp" in post 4, but this one is two flat pieces pushing together, so blade bowing is not an issue.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom