What's new

Mike's hand made soaps from Brooklyn.

MIKE's NATURAL SOAPS (A different poll)

• Handmade in the U.S.A.

• Handmade in Ann Arbor, MI

• Doesn't matter

Results are only viewable after voting.
There's a lot of love for the Orange, Cedarwood and Black Pepper scent. I have it and enjoy it immensely in summer, it's strong on the citrus with some pleasant background notes. The Lime is also great, it's a really clean and pure and fresh scent. Almost one dimensional, but in a good way. The Bay Rum is the only other one I've tried and it's great, definitely one for the traditionalists. Mike's Natural has such a great range of scents, I'd encourage you to get one that's not just a staple scent like sandalwood or coconut.

If I have one regret, it's not getting the Hungarian Lavender instead of the Bay Rum.

What do yall usually purchase from Mike's the tins or the bars?

I purchase the bars, cut them up and press the slivers into 1 cup pyrex bowls with the air tight lids.They stack well , the bowls are clear so you can see how much soap is left, and you also save a couple of bucks

by buying the brick instead of the tin. I bowl lather, so the pyrex bowls are perfect for loading your brush then moving on to your lathering bowl or scuttle.

The pine/cedar is just fantastic. My favourite of Mike's scents. It is a really natural pine, rounded out with the cedar in the background.

Rosemary/mint is also really nice and gives the skin a slight cooling sensation. It's a great combo as the herbaceous scent really goes well with the mint.
Lav/euc is very nice for cooler months.

Others I liked: lime and unscented (nice natural scent).

Wasn't a fan of: orange/pep/ced, rose/cedar, lemon/euc

Mike's unscented is my go to. Peppermint and Rosemary is very nice especially now that the warmer weather is on its way. I also have a tin of Hungarian Lavender in bound as well. The skin care properties of this soap are just stellar as my face has never felt better.

I got those samples from Mike: Coconut, Rose & Cedarwood, Pine & Cedarwood, Hungarian Lavender, Lilly of the Valley, Barbershop. I can tell you that those scents are as realistic as I could ever imagined a scent to be, and they are not aggressive, instead they are making you keep coming back to smell them :)

I've made a solid effort to burn through my Mike's soap samples over the past couple weeks. Just finished Lavandin & Eucalyptus last night.... but not my favorite. The ones I have enjoyed the most have been the Orange, Cedarwood & Peper; Hungarian Lavander; and the Rose & Cedarwood.... although I have a feeling that my favorite may be one that I have not tried yet..... Vetiver.

Ben

How long do the samples (how many shaves) last from Mikes?

I like the Bay rum and the coconut and have had and used samples of most of the others. My favourite by far is the Cedarwood and Pine, that smells absolutely fantastic to my nose.

How long do the samples (how many shaves) last from Mikes?

For me about 5, but I do a 4 pass shave and overload my brush. This is my purge year, so I'm hitting all my soaps harder trying to use them up. I've seen others say they get 8-10 shaves from a Mikes sample.

I have a bar of the bay rum and a bunch of samples (which seem to last a while) I have the Orange cedar black pepper in my rotation. I find the sent to be a little weak and i only pick up the orange and nothing else. Anyone else have this issue. I probably just have a weak nose.

I used my sample of Lime last night and the scent did not overly impress me. Very light. The performance of course was spectacular. Bay Rum was the same.... not the scent for me.

Ben

Fairly new to DE wet shaving. Up until this AM I had only used TOBS sandalwood creme. Which I really like. But, thanks to the SOTD, last week I broke down and fed the addiction by ordering a selection of samples of soaps from Mike. Herein lies the complaints.

1. They all smelled so good, I didn't know where to start. It was sensory overload. :) After much sniffing and agonizing, I started with the Bay Rum. Wow. Wow. Wow.
2. While this was my first time using soap, and honestly, I was scared I wouldn't be able to lather it, I got a good lather. Not as good as some of the pics I've seen, but good enough. Enough for 4 passes. 3 WTG. 1 ATG. I was so caught up in shaving, that I ended up being 10 min. late for me physical therapy session. (My therapist said that this was the first time a patient had blamed being late on trying a new shaving soap!!!)
3. This was the closest BBS shave I've ever gotten. Because my beard grows so slow, this means I won't have to shave until Saturday. 'That sucks!!!
4. All day long, I kept catching whiffs of that wonderful Bay Rum scent. (Not overpowering, just light and pleasant.). I kept feeling my BBS face. And I wanted to quit work and go shave. Very distracting to say the least and a miracle for someone who has a history of avoiding the razor. And, very disappointing for a guy who can't shave for another couple of days.

So, Mike, thanks a lot. Your soap didn't meet my expectations. No, sir. It blew them right outta the water. Another order for several tins will be heading your way shortly!!!!

Oh man, my Mike's samples are on their way and I am hoping to get them by this weekend! I did not order the bay rum however. Maybe next time!

Top Bottom