What's new

Mike's hand made soaps from Brooklyn.

MIKE's NATURAL SOAPS (A different poll)

• Handmade in the U.S.A.

• Handmade in Ann Arbor, MI

• Doesn't matter

Results are only viewable after voting.
i can't say anything that hasn't already been said. i just ordered 4 more tins myself, should arrive by monday. the hardest part of my shave is deciding which scent i want to use.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Do the full size tins of Mike's soaps perform better than his samples? I have bought samples of his orange, black pepper, and cedarwood, pine & cedarwood, and his lime soaps. I love all his scents. And the soaps themselves really lather up easy for me. While the lather looks rich & creamy, once I apply it to my face and start to shave, it starts dissipating, going flat and thin. Then there seems to be no cushion or slickness and my razor starts skipping.

There is just too much love on this forum for Mike's, I have to be doing something wrong.

Do the full size tins of Mike's soaps perform better than his samples? I have bought samples of his orange, black pepper, and cedarwood, pine & cedarwood, and his lime soaps. I love all his scents. And the soaps themselves really lather up easy for me. While the lather looks rich & creamy, once I apply it to my face and start to shave, it starts dissipating, going flat and thin. Then there seems to be no cushion or slickness and my razor starts skipping.

There is just too much love on this forum for Mike's, I have to be doing something wrong.

I have used the samples and now have full size tins. The tins are way easier to load the brush. Just a guess but you might try to load the brush a lot more with a sample. I found that it took longer to get the same amount of soap with the sample.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
It does seem like it loads fast on the brush so I might not be loading long enough. I'll load longer and see what happens.

The Pine and Cedar wood is great as well realistic smelling Pine with the Cedar wood lingering in the nooks and cracks of the scent. You have to concentrate to even smell it. I wouldn't even mind a Cedar scented soap.

The Pine and Cedar wood is great as well realistic smelling Pine with the Cedar wood lingering in the nooks and cracks of the scent. You have to concentrate to even smell it. I wouldn't even mind a Cedar scented soap.

I love P & C scent love it!

Blackbear, can you let us know your impressions of the vetiver when you crack it open?

Had todays shave with the Vetiver, using the same prep (after shower and bowl lathering) lather quality was the same as the first tin I tried, very rich, creamy, although this time I used a silvertip brush, but it loaded just as well. Scent wise, as someone has mentioned it's very earthy, a damp forest floor smell, musty and with hints of freshly milled timber. It tends to smell a little sweeter once applied as a lather IMO.

I did get a free sample with my purchase, but it's been added to a PIF I'm giving away, so I won't be lathering with it. I can imagine, looking at the size of the sample that it would be much easier loading from a tin, I put about a tablespoon of hot water on top of the soap and let it sit while my brush soaks, I then tip about half of this soapy water into my lathering bowl (the remainder I ditch in the sink) but it leaves the top mm or so of the soap puck nice and soft and makes loading the brush much easier. I probably only need to load for 30 seconds (or less) to get enough for my usual 2 pass shave.

Yeah I find wetting the puck saves 30 seconds load time. His soaps are outstanding. I still have a few more to try before I'll have a full set of all his soaps.
Lately my favorites have been Mike's, DR Harris and MWF.

I am having the same exact problem with my Mike's samples! I have several other soaps and this is the only one I've had this problem with. I can't figure it out.......seems like I have a great lather, rich and thick, when I do my first pass. Shave takes about 10 - 15 minutes once I have my lather. By the 3rd pass, I just have a mess....thin and evaporating fast. I keep my lather bowl in the sink to keep it warm, could the heat cause this? If someone figures it out, please let me know......seems like everyone else loves Mike's. I do for the first pass, but not the second and third.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I am having the same exact problem with my Mike's samples! I have several other soaps and this is the only one I've had this problem with. I can't figure it out.......seems like I have a great lather, rich and thick, when I do my first pass. Shave takes about 10 - 15 minutes once I have my lather. By the 3rd pass, I just have a mess....thin and evaporating fast. I keep my lather bowl in the sink to keep it warm, could the heat cause this? If someone figures it out, please let me know......seems like everyone else loves Mike's. I do for the first pass, but not the second and third.
I find it hard to load enought product from the samples. The tin no problem once I dialed it in.
For the sample don't be shy going back to load some more off the soap on the third pass. It's not a crime

Top Bottom