What's new

Chin and Moustache areas Questions

Gents:

New to SR shaves. Have had about 7 shaves. I've got it going pretty good on my sides and cheeks. In facts, I was able to get a very close shave with just one downward pass on each side. I'm getting good!

I've left my chin and moustache areas alone util today. I have to say that I am a bit alarmed. I thought to myself, "wow, this is difficult...is it worth it?" The second part of that question had me worried. It's not just that these areas are more difficult to shave, but my Dovo wasn't taking a good deal of hair off on DWP's. I attempted to go against the grain, but found quite a bit of friction, and it was very slow going.

Any advice?

Greetings ~ the chin and mustache areas are typically the hardest to shave - SR or DE - due to the varying terrain, tougher/coarser/denser growth, and the tight spaces. It can be done, but it will take more effort, and will come more naturally as your technique develops. Skin stretching and being able to adjust the angle of the razor by "rolling" the shank as the razor is moving will help a lot.

You'll have to discover what works best for you, but here's some of the things I do:
1. On the XTG pass, stretch the skin tight around the chin by stretching from the mid-cheek toward the back. With the toe pointing up, I bring the razor round the chin/jawline. This is where rolling the shank comes in handy, otherwise you are likely to cut yourself.

2. In the "soul patch" area, I have to go ATG. This requires a good slick lather, sufficient beard reduction prior to the pass, a very shallow angle, and some girding of the loins :). I will typically stretch this area by bringing the lower lip into my mouth and holding it with my teeth.

3. The XTG pass on the moustache area does most of the work for me. Again, slick lather is a must, and stretch your moustache area by pulling it back with your hand on one side. I have the toe pointing up for this pass as well, which means I have to watch the heel to make sure it doesn't catch the chin.

Watch videos of others shaving as well - you're bound to pick up some good pointers.

Congrats on your WTG pass success - carry that over to your moustache and chin, and you'll have won 75% of the battle!

I tried my moustache area this morning with a 2-handed approach; placed the blade on the philtrum and puckered my upper lip tight and twisted the wrists to bring the blade down. Seems to work pretty well;

Top Bottom