What's new

Online Tuxedo purchase?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
There comes a time in every man's life when he ought to own a tuxedo. (Whether he does or not, is another matter ... :whistling: ... but anyhow ...)

For most guys, that time can best be described as "several years ago", but I digress ...

I'm looking to buy a good tuxedo. Now, living a good long day's drive from anywhere that would actually sell tuxedoes, I'm thinking of internet purchases (which I've done for suits, shirts, shoes, and so forth.) So does anyone out there know of a good online retailer for high-quality tuxedoes?

Ian,

I purchased a tuxedo on ebay a few years ago. I'll see if I can look up the name of the seller. I paid only a few dollars more than I would for a rental. I have been quite pleased with my purchase. I don't know if mine qualifies as a high quality tuxedo but it is neat and clean and presentable and perfectly servicable.

Edit: You may be looking for something with a more upscale selection, but heres the name FWIW. I purchased my tux from http://stores.ebay.com/THETUXXMAN

http://www.ravistailor.com/

I cannot reccommend them highly enough. Based in Thailand, and I was nervous at first about ordering tailored clothing over the internet from that far away. HOWEVER: if you really take time to get your measurements taken carefully, the clothes they make will fit like a glove. I tested them out with a tux shirt (I'm a musician, I'm in a tux about twice a month; I've owned one since high school). After seeing the quality I've ordered about 4 more shirts and a suit from them. The prices are pretty good, too.

I purchased a tuxedo from etuxedo.com. I was very happy with the price and speed of service. My recollection is that they offer a wide range in terms of quality/price. I purposely ordered a cheaper, lower quality tuxedo, as I only need to wear one once or twice a year. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality. Certainly not a finely tailored garment, but better than I expected and it more than suited (pun intended) my purpose.

Heh. The last tux I bought from a store was a decent tux, and ran me about $400. After I found that website I thought it was crazy to pay that much for a suit off the rack when I could get a tailored one for the same price.

call me old fashioned, but i belive that a tux or a suite is something you get mesured and taylored for,

You'll probably ever own a single tux (we call them "dinner jackets", or "DJs" here), so my advice is to make it count. The Internet can offer great bargains, but it's going to go wrong in the fit somewhere. The DJ is a man's finest hour, so don't take any chances. If it takes a drive to get to a decent tailor, then get in the car. :)

It's tempting to buy from eBay, or a vendor. I know people that have. They get a fantastic brand at a low price. The trouble is, it doesn't fit properly - even if all the measurements are exactly correct. There is genuinely no substitute for simply trying it on beforehand. (Obviously not talking bespoke tailoring here.)

Drive, man, drive!

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Top Bottom