What's new

The Kaweco Thread

This brand does not get enough press, in my opinion. Occasionally folks around here, including me, mention the Kaweco Sport as a good option when someone is looking for a starter or pocket pen. That's usually where all mention of Kaweco ends. My Sport has a medium gold-plated steel nib that writes far nicer than any Lamy I've ever used. Mine is buttery smooth and writes flawlessly every time I pick it up, even if I've allowed it to sit unused for days. I have also been impressed with the Sport's durability, and you can eyedropper it! It's the pen I usually take with me when I travel because I don't have to really worry about damaging or losing it. It also doesn't take up much room in my pocket, especially since my Sport is clipless. It's just a brilliant little pen, and it's available in aluminum and carbon models if you're a really big fan.

But enough about the Sport. Today I ran across some of the other Kaweco offerings at Jet Pens. I knew about the Liliput, but I had never seen the Student Pen. It looks like a good moderately-priced pen if you don't mind a metal grip section.

What really caught my eye, however, were the Dia2 and Elite. I'm not typically one for yellow gold, except on tortoise and some black pens. The Dia2 looks gorgeous and features a Bock nib. The Elite has a faceted barrel, which is unique. There aren't a huge number of faceted pens on the market, really. I don't post my pens, and both the Dia2 and Elite look long enough to be comfortable for non-posted use. I really like the art deco styling of all these pens. The clips on the Student Pen, Dia2, and Elite look fantastic, in my opinion.

I'm sure you get what you pay for with these pens, but if ink capacity is an issue or you just don't like cart/converter pens, Pelikan may be the better option. So does anyone own one of these non-sport Kaweco fountain pens? If so, I'd love to hear some impressions. If not, I may have to do some, uh... research.

-Andy

Attachments

• $KawecoDia2.jpg
    $KawecoDia2.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 359
  • $KawecoElite.jpg
    $KawecoElite.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I have an original DIA, a little piston filler, 1950s. I'll post a pic tonight.
I've had my eye on one of the DIA2 pens for a while now.

I've got two Al Sports, one can be seen in the bulb filler mod thread.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I received a Liliput for Christmas and it is tiny. But, for me, it's a great little pen to have around.

The card in the images is a little over 3"x5".

proxy.php

I have never looked into Kaweco's other pens. Stephen Brown did a review of the Lilyput, it looked pretty good but that is as far as I've gotten. I have 2 Kaweco Sports, and like them for the same reasons you listed. Mine have medium and broad nibs and write ever so smoothly. Eyedropper fill them and they seem like they will never run out of ink. I did want one of the aluminum Sports, but did not want to pay the price.
Those others look really nice! I think it may be time for a bit of that uh, research...

I forgot to mention it, but I like the look of the Special AL, as well. Faceted pens are great, as they don't need a clip to keep from rolling off a desk. Kaweco appears to be using Bock nibs in all these pens.

-Andy

Wow I've only ever seen the little guy and the piston fill one both belonging to Sam

Jet pens even has a calli set

I may just have to re enter the little sport back onto my get list since it seemed to fall off at some point

150 of these pens exist in this world. They were made in 2006. I would love to see one in person.

-Andy

Attachments

• $kaweco-king-geschlossen.jpg
    $kaweco-king-geschlossen.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 330

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I would love to see this one in person.

proxy.php

Kaweco Spezial no. 36, buttonfiller, green and black marbled celluloid, large 18C gold nib, rare oversize version. The difference between you and me, Andrew, you like the modern, I like the vintage.

I'm still looking for my little black Dia to photograph. Searched the black pen cigar box ... I know I'm in deep trouble when I can't find a pen. A week ago I was looking for a box of Vacs and stumbled on a tray of vintage Sheaffers I had completely forgotten about, stashed away in 2005 I think. D'oh!

I aspire to one day have this problem....:yesnod:

Searched the black pen cigar box ... I know I'm in deep trouble when I can't find a pen. A week ago I was looking for a box of Vacs and stumbled on a tray of vintage Sheaffers I had completely forgotten about, stashed away in 2005 I think. D'oh!

You know Doug, you and Brian may be the only two that something like that could happen to, I may loose A pen for a while, but im a few years off from loosing a box of them lol

best i could do is "stumbled on a box of Bics i forgot i used to prop up a make shift table"

But that is the coolest koweco i have ever seen in my life, If ever i were to go looking for one, it would be like that. To bad the sports dont look that cool

You know Doug, you and Brian may be the only two that something like that could happen to, I may loose A pen for a while, but im a few years off from loosing a box of them lol

best i could do is "stumbled on a box of Bics i forgot i used to prop up a make shift table"

But that is the coolest koweco i have ever seen in my life, If ever i were to go looking for one, it would be like that. To bad the sports dont look that cool

That is indeed a great looking vintage Kaweco, Doug. I like the Sports with the patterns engraved (molded?) on them. They're pretty cool.

-Andy

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Right now, all I have are Kaweco's:
- Clear Classic (PIF'd from Mike H)
- v11 (from Vlad's BST, tweaked by syngent)

I have no problem with them and both see loads of usage.

Nice Sam. Glad to hear you're enjoying them.

I sent jetpens.com a message and they plan on carrying the Dia2 in the chrome version in about a month. I still can't decide if I like the gold or chrome trim better. Black and gold seems to suit that pen's styling nicely, though.

-Andy

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
From The Ultimate Book of Pens, here's the six pages for Kaweco....
NOTE: These are 7M pics. If you cannot read them, you should be able to download from Photobucket.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Video showing vintage Kaweco ads. This manufacturer has quite a history.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom