What's new

Cravat?

Not a big fan of ties but for work i'll happily wear a suit jacket, shirt and jeans. I keep thinking that the open collar shirt looks like its missing something (don't say tie) and i'm thinking about one of those discreet undershirt cravats, nothing garish and with just the top button undone.

What da ya think? Will I just look like a fop? Any one else wearing them like this?

$20110911-030554.jpg

I'm not sure of the combination of a suit jacket and jeans. I think a cravat will just make it worse.

If you think the combination is missing something, how about just throwing on a colored tee shirt under the dress shirt. If the color compliments one of the colors in the jacket or shirt, it may serve the same purpose as a cravat without looking so affected.

If you like it, go for it. To me, ascot has alwas looked like someone is having a flu or some sort of death illness and/or missing his handkerchief. But that doesn't mean anything, I think your combo looks as it's supposed to.

Not all the way to foppishness. Maybe on the road to it.
Not for me, but I could see if understated, could look OK.

I really dig that look and used to wear one to work. The thing is you have to be powerful or appear powerful to pull it off. Otherwise you look like a clown. Think of the difference between the picture of Rodney Dangerfield and Al Pacino in Godfather 2.

Max

Not a big fan of ties but for work i'll happily wear a suit jacket, shirt and jeans. I keep thinking that the open collar shirt looks like its missing something (don't say tie) and i'm thinking about one of those discreet undershirt cravats, nothing garish and with just the top button undone.

What da ya think? Will I just look like a fop? Any one else wearing them like this?
Turtleneck might work....Did for me....:001_cool:

Well I think I pulled it off......wore one today at work and it didn't even bat an eyelid so I think I may have got the 'quietly understated' look down rather than the 'loud/fop/bounder'.

Well I think I pulled it off......wore one today at work and it didn't even bat an eyelid so I think I may have got the 'quietly understated' look down rather than the 'loud/fop/bounder'.

bold play - good for you! i think that often pulling off "unusual" pieces (such as a cravat) just boils down to confidence!

I know this thread is a bit cold, but...

I sometimes wear a cravat. I'm in my 50s, living in the UK, and can be spotted wearing one down the pub at times.
I think they look a bit pompous if worn with a formal cotton shirt (fine if you are at a Cambridge garden party, but not suitable at the pub).
I go more casual, wearing a patterned one with a Pendleton check woollen shirt (untucked), sports jacket, and jeans.
Friends have been horrified at the thought of me turning up wearing a cravat, but when they see me they somewhat grudgingly admit the whole casual combo works fine.
PS I should point out that the shirt, jacket, and cravat all share common colours so they harmonise.

Top Bottom