What's new

from DE to straight razor, first shave

Don´t know why I waited for so long, but finally bought a straight razor. I have been using a DE for a while and now I can say I had my first SR shave. What an experience it was, but above all, it was fun. Have been reading through forums and watched some clips about the technique, stropping etc. I really took my time, tried to use the right technique etc. and enjoyed the shave.
What I learned from this first shave: a bit of fear for the blade is a wise thing, but there comes a moment where you have to make that right 30 degr. angle on yor skin to cut some hair,LOL! Interesting moment. But it all went ok.
Little difficulties I had: The nose, upper lip area is really hard to get close when going wtg. I was overconfident and tried atg and was punished with a small cut. Also, the time it took me to finish the shave was so long that my lather dried up too soon a few times. But in all, I really enjoyed the ride. Looking forward to my next shave. O yeah, the razor I purchased was a DOVO 5/8 mother of pearl,stainless. Thanks for all the advice guys, it was really helpfull:thumbup1:

cheers,
Eric

Congrats! I'm in the same camp as you. Recently received a Dovo 5/8 tortoise and am on my 4th straight shave. Good luck!

I'm right there with you guys. I'm five shaves in. Got a few red lines still and a couple weepers (my face isn't all that smoothe). Feeling better about it and getting confident but not cocky :001_unsur

I still use my Merkur slant during the week, but may get efficient enough in a few weeks.

I may be right behind you guys. My dad pulled out my great-uncle's old straight razor this weekend. It's got me intrigued. Starting to look into straights now.

Ben

Also had my first today!
Didn't go all the way, but did both cheeks and under the nose. Went ok but really didn't feel natural going left-handed!! Face also feels quite a bit raw compared to normal (I finished with the DE).

I do agree that there was some stress in putting the blade against my face the first time! And it sure takes much more time to shave!! Let's see how the next few times go!

Thanks for the replies. I work shifts, have evening shift in a few hours.Shaved last night, so I don´t have to shave now before work. I´m still deciding if I´m gona train my left hand use or to keep it in my right. I noticed, when I use my left for left side face, you have better sight on the angle of the blade. When I use my right, I have to lower my arm to see the blade.
Feels great to share the experience with you guys!

Be sure to stretch your skin. It will really help you. Make sure to use plenty of water in lather and stretch your skin. I am probably 50-60 shaves in and stretching is the best advice I can give.

Top Bottom