What's new

The Best Whey Powders

Thanks, it's not rated but I generally go with the Costco brand. I'm thinking of trying a whey/casein blend after reading a few articles claiming it's better. Anyone tried it?

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% whey, Best protein for the money out there. I shop for it at Amazon or Bodybuilding.com.
I have a scoop every morning in my Shakeology

I use Optimum Nutrition whey too. Its high quality and never had a bad flavor. My favorite so far is Chocolate Mint. Have a 5lb tub of Chocolate Coconut on the way.

True Protein!

Used to buy Optimum Nutrition in the past. It used to be cheap but I think the prices have gone up in recent years.

+1 to the above. I use Optimum Nutrition and Cytosport (which is sold at Costco). Unfortunately, prices on both have gone up considerably.

As for the article, its titled Best Whey Powders, but then lists a bunch of products with whey and lot of other ingredients e.g., creatine. All fine products, but I definitely wouldn't put them in the same category as ON Whey or Cytosport for their intended purposes.

Casein is good and slower to digest, so its good for bedtime, but the texture takes some getting used to; its thick and has a kind of mealy consistency.

I use Dymatize Elite Whey Protein Isolate. Inexpensive, low carb, low cholesterol, low sodium, good amount of protein & BCAAs, tastes fine. I like cafe mocha flavor.

For my casein: at night I just eat a large portion of Fage fat free Greek yogurt with some fruit and liquid stevia.

Last edited:
I usually use the Gold Standard as well. Either the chocolate, or the vanilla (which I sometimes mix with matcha powder to add interest).

I once read somewhere that if you make your shake with milk (as I do-- did it once without and had to choke the shake down), that's your casein right there. Wasn't sure if I believed it, though-- surely you wouldn't get the same concentration as in the powder? (but then, I guess I've never paid that close of attention)

I like MTS Nutrition Whey. It is a concentrate which has more goodies in it than isolate, and it is cheaper. BSN has some of the best tasting protein powders I have tried, but they are a protein blend, and not just whey.

Almost any of the whey powder's are good, but one of the best things for a post workout drink is low fat chocolate milk. I take a quart with me every day to drink after my workout. The cost is really nice too, cheaper than a large coffee.

i vote ON, too...although for the last year or so, i've been using BSN Syntha6......can't beat the taste and easily shakes up.

Almost any of the whey powder's are good, but one of the best things for a post workout drink is low fat chocolate milk. I take a quart with me every day to drink after my workout. The cost is really nice too, cheaper than a large coffee.

+1 if you take the marketing away, there is solid scientific research that states your body doesn't know the difference (of course your taste buds do) pick the one you can throw down without gagging and doesn't cost am arm an a leg.

Just started using a protein powder to keep me from falling off the scale while doing cardio this month. Loving the ON Double Rich Chocolate mixed with skim milk. Just picked up 10lbs for $85. Should last me the bulk of this year.

I've used the ON Hydro Builder, ON Gold, Dymatize Elite Fusion Seven and Gaspari MyoFusion probiotic. Elite fusion's Chocolate peanut butter chocolate, and ON gold's Mochachino Rush flavors were the best, MyoFusion had a really nice protein profile and the probiotics really helped my stomach gastritis and made me feal a lot better but I wasn't noticing any significant gains. ON Hydro Builder was awesome because it had almost everything you could ever want for a post workout shake which was really convenient; 30 grams protien, 5 grams of creatine, 15 grams of BCAA's including Glutamine and 2.5 grams of betaine. All I had to add was a little bit of carbs. Awesome gains. Only complaint was that it was a little bit pricey (but then again, you dont have to buy a tub of creatine and bcaa's) and the taste left something to be desired.

Just started using a protein powder to keep me from falling off the scale while doing cardio this month. Loving the ON Double Rich Chocolate mixed with skim milk. Just picked up 10lbs for $85. Should last me the bulk of this year.

Ten pounds would last me about two months, two and a half at most.

Oh, I use this one.

$image_27303_450_white.jpg

Top Bottom