What's new

Has anyone used Matador Toro Mastiff?

I have not, but i was talking to owner David and he said that they are getting popular. He has them set at a good price too.
proxy.php

If you're going to borrow, borrow from the best.

I can't tell, are those Merkur or DE89 heads, though (on the Toros)

Last edited:
Looks Sweet, looks like a BRW handle and a EJ89 Or Alike Head ? If that is the Combo it is one sweet razor for that price :eek:)

I have the same head on a Capa Negra, and it's really nice. It's aggressive, but it's really easy to find the right angle.

Apparently I missed a lot of the threads on this razor which is apparently very up-and-coming in the razor community. It is very sick in appearance and the larger version is 3 + 7/8" long and 4 oz. I'm wondering if the head is unique though compared to say a 34C head.

Shave-a-buck has them as Sabi T1/2.

I bought one for the handle which i put on my R41, does the job nicely, great grip and weight.

If this is the same make as the Sabi T2 (I've read that it is), it's a fantastic razor, especially for the price. The handle is solid brass, with chrome (I think) plating. I have the long and short versions, and I love them. If anyone is on the fence for the Matador Coro Mastiff, or the Sabi T2/T1, go for it! At that price, you won't regret it.

Also, cooncatbob (RIP) appears to have heavily borrowed his design from the 1916 Gillette Aristocrat (Sure I'm not stating anything unknown here), however, imitation is the highest form of flattery. If anything, I think this design is mostly an homage to Bob. Whatever your opinion, it's definitely a beautiful design.

Here's my preferred configuration.
$2013-02-08 13.24.44 (Medium).jpg

The Toro Mastiff, although made by the same OEM as a few other razors on the market (NY Shaving, Sabi and others) is more refined. David worked very closely with the OEM for some improvements, from better QC on the head, overall better plating, and laser etching on both the head and handle.

It is an aggressive razor, but one that can provide an effortless BBS shave in two passes. Although the head looks similar to a Merkur, the gap is wider than the Merkur standard, more along the lines of a Progress on 5.5. The blade exposure it greater as well, about the same as a FaTip.

This is an aggressive razor, but do not let that scare you, as it is a very smooth one. The OEM has been making these razors for a couple of years, for those who have owned razors from this OEM before you will notice some improvements to the head design. Gone are the misaligned blade exposure and uneven gap, even then plating has improved, although it is a notch below the other Matador models.

Two passes and a little light buffing on my neck and my face is smoother than a pair of waxed legs. It may be aggressive but there is no "raw" feeling afterwards, just comfort.

Does it look a lot like a BRW Bullmastiff? It sure does, no denying it. But as other had pointed out, even Bob's design was heavily influenced by the 1916 Bell Tube Aristocrat.

Hard to go wrong for the $26 selling price, even of one was too find the head too aggressive for their liking, how man solid brass, deep knurled replacement handles can you find in this price point? Very few if any

We now have choice...and as shaving hobbyist/enthusiast choice is always a good thing, especially when coming from a vendor that always provided A++ customer service.

I have been using a proto-type handle for months, and landed one of the first ones that hit US shorts. I personally love it, has become one of my regulars in my rotation.
proxy.php

The Matador Toro Mastiff Corto.

proxy.php

The Matador Toro Mastiff Corto

proxy.php

The Matador Toro Mastiff Corto Open Comb (hopefully coming soon to Razor Blades and More)

Last edited:
Top Bottom