Thread: Aggressive vs mild razor

Default Aggressive vs mild razor

Guys I have a question I hope some one will be able to school me a little, how you teal aggressive from mild razor, I have a EJ de89 makur 34c and cheep Chinese razor from the 3 I think the cheep razor give me the best shave I do not want to use the cheep one just because is made in china and more likely ill trow it away because I'm sick and tired of Chinese sh#% sold around here, back to the question how do you teal which one is more mild than the other, this way I know what I'm looking for and buy good quality de razor. I'm trying to figure out is the Chinese razor more or lass aggressive than the EJ de89.
    EJ de89 (makur 34c i give this one to my dad) makur 39c sladgehammer

Real easy, if your not paying good attention to what you are doing and it cuts you, it's aggressive. If it takes more hair off with fewer passes, it's aggressive. Try the comparison with the same blade. Enjoy your shave!
    I could probably load Tabac on a Q-tip and still get a decent lather

Maybe I should get one of those that got adjustments on it makur progress or....??

Images

I believe the Merkur 34c is more aggressive than the EJ de89. When I shave with the 34c I can feel the blade running across my face. I cannot feel the blade with the EJ.
    Ron

There are some razor characteristics that are commonly referred simply as aggressive. Blade gap, blade sticking out of the razor, safety bar not touching the face...
    For example, talking about 2 razors that I've used, the new Muhle R41 and the new Ikon SB base plate, I can raise or lower the handle of my razor and feel that blade touching my face on a wide range of handle tilt.
    With a mild razor, the usable handle tilt is more narrow, and when the blade touches the face, the blade sticking out of the razor is minimal, only the amount necessary to cut the stubble at the surface of the skin.
    Aggressive razors have more chances to catch stubble, but they can have steeper blade angles. If your beard is stiffer and you raise your razor handle to provide a more comfortable/efficient cut, you risk lifting the safety bar from the skin. The safety bar levels and stretches the skin before the blade.
    - Joel (LEMS - League of Extraordinary Mild Shavers)

Images

I did this comparison between the most aggressive razor on the market and the mildest razor on the market about a year ago.

Very interesting results.....

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...essive-VS-Mild

I would go for a Gillette Slim. It's adjustable, cheap, and a darn fine shave.
    I could probably load Tabac on a Q-tip and still get a decent lather

Quote Originally Posted by Sash View Post
    I do not want to use the cheep one just because is made in china and more likely ill trow it away because I'm sick and tired of Chinese sh#% sold around here, .
    To be fair? You already bought it. The damage is done. The Chinese won't know at this point if you keep it or throw it out--they already have your money and that's all that matters. Why toss a perfectly-good razor you seem to like, and put more junk in a landfill, to make a political point that no one but you will know about? If you really don't want it, you could always sell it here or PIF it.

Not trying to be a jerk, just saying it'd be a shame to see something that has nothing wrong with it go to waste just because you personally don't wish to use it.

@turtle
    Your other post is great.

@Katia
    You are right, once they get our money, it's the end of the line, they just manufacture another product to fill the empty space on the shelf. Buy cheap pay twice, fill a bigger landfill.
    - Joel (LEMS - League of Extraordinary Mild Shavers)

Quote Originally Posted by Katia View Post
    To be fair? You already bought it. The damage is done. The Chinese won't know at this point if you keep it or throw it out--they already have your money and that's all that matters. Why toss a perfectly-good razor you seem to like, and put more junk in a landfill, to make a political point that no one but you will know about? If you really don't want it, you could always sell it here or PIF it.

Not trying to be a jerk, just saying it'd be a shame to see something that has nothing wrong with it go to waste just because you personally don't wish to use it.
    It is a piece of S%#* already start to pill the chrome out, I only pay 8$ for it so who cares.....

Well, I find an open comb razor to be the perfect solution for people that have problems with how the blade glides. Allowing an angle that cuts properly without having a safety bar removing all the lather goodness from face, is what adds a nice comfortable shave. Angle also matters, a mild razor will restrict your angles and some razor blades might give subpar results. I think that R41 will be awesome, though not sure how much of a difference will make between having a razor that keeps the blade curved like R41 or to have the blade perfectly flat, like butterfly razors.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Sky High View Post
    @turtle
    Your other post is great.
    Which other?!?!?!?!?

I order makur sland bar 39c I hope will work out good for me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sash View Post
    I order makur sland bar 39c I hope will work out good for me.
    You should like it.