What's new

Best Bar Soap

I really like dove soap and in the winter they sell a winter version with more moisturizers. But I prefer the smell of Irish spring but find it to be a bit drying on the old skin

Just ordered 6 small bars from Filthyfarm in hawaii. Free shipping and they seem to be really fun for summer. I went with all citrus based plus a bay rum. Tons to choose from and good prices. Anything to make showering before work a delight!

Pre de Provence Shea Butter Bar Soap. Lathers really well, slick and cush, feels like it could be used as a shaving soap. The scent is neutral sorta herbal like. I've never tried there shaving soap in tin and will most likely purchase next year.

I also just ordered from Filthy Farmgirl after reading a post here - I'd never heard of them. Ingredients look pretty darn natural, good prices, and the pictures/names clearly deserve my business. If they are only equal to other stuff I try I will probably stick with them just for the names and wrapper graphics!

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I use Castile soaps of all kinds and I tend to try all sorts to mix it up. Since I do Jiu Jitsu I also use Defense soap after workouts. I'm practically the only person that uses the showers at my gym after every workout, but the nice Castile soaps I was using didn't stop me from getting ringworm in 2 areas regardless so Defense is the only soap I use post workout.

I have been using this lately:

My new best.

$b1413_1.jpg

Toss up right now between Bangalore Sandalwood and Dr. Bronner's Castile. Bronner's is a lot easier to find for sure.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Chagrin Valley soaps are amazing. I really like the Tea Tree & Neem. Also, I recently purchased a couple bars from QCS and was quite impressed. Both companies are highly recommended!

I used Tea Tree and Neem for a while because Tea Tree and Neem are both anti-fungal agents and I do Jiu Jitsu so there's always the chance I'll get ringworm or staph and I like to keep those chances low. The people at Chagrin actually recommended the soap to me for that purpose as well. I liked that it doubled as a shampoo so I could just take a whole shower with one thing and go home quickly after a workout. I honestly didn't feel like I was getting very clean using it, and then one day a classmate stopped me on the mat and told me to get off the mats because I had ringworm. It was on my tricep. I later found another spot on my hip. I'd never gotten ringworm showering with any other soap and I never skip a shower after a workout. After that I was convinced that I wasn't getting the results I wanted from it and discontinued use.

YMMV, I use Defense Soap as a workout soap now and a handful of other soaps in my home, usually Kirks or Bronners and sometimes French soaps. It's probably a fine everyday soap, but as I mentioned I didn't feel very clean after using it (if 'feeling clean' makes any sense :p) plus getting ringworm in spite of their recommendation of using that soap left me with a bad taste in my mouth I suppose.

I did like how my hair felt after using the soap, just a short aside. Their Shampoo Bars are nice.

I bought some Yardley Lavendar to replace my Dove Men's soap. Super slick and slippery. Maybe not the best lather but was only 99 cents. Looking forward to trying some fancier bar soaps.

I've been using Mike's for the past six months, and have been very happy with the variety of scents and the moisturizing properties. I really like his shampoo bar, and have never had a shampoo leave my hair as clean as his does. My favorite lavender scented soap is from Mystic Water. I like the variety of scents offered by QCS, but find that the scent fades by the time I'm halfway through a bar, which never happens with Mike's or Mystic Water soaps. One of my favorite soaps is Speick, although I enjoy having more variety in scents. I tend to use more citrus and floral scented soaps in the spring and summer. Currently, I'm enjoying Mike's Sweet Pumpkin Spice soap, and tend to save Pine & Cedarwood for the winter months.

I also just ordered from Filthy Farmgirl after reading a post here - I'd never heard of them. Ingredients look pretty darn natural, good prices, and the pictures/names clearly deserve my business. If they are only equal to other stuff I try I will probably stick with them just for the names and wrapper graphics!

I too bought from this brand because of a post on here, but I haven't been impressed with the soaps. I bought a sample pack of the mens soap, and have found them all to be pretty forgettable -- mainly, the scents aren't that strong and don't stick around at all. I loved the 'Spiced Rum' soap, but the scent really doesn't last after you wash it off.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
This thread convinced me to try PdP. Ordered some Eucalyptus soap, 2 bars of it. My skin starts to get dry in the winter and I've heard PdP described as being fairly moisturizing so I'm giving it a go. :)

Top Bottom