What's new

Pre-shave oil ?

Ok as a new wet shaver I've been immersing myself in all the aspects of a proper shave. One thing I never really even ever thought about was pre shaving regimine. so I unerstand now why a pre-shave oil or cream is a important step to protect your skin by adding another layer of protection as well as by prepping the hair for what is to come. My question is this aside from buying a pre made oil from the likes of art of shaving or EJ etc. has anyone made their own ? I see on youtube they make it seem easy...1 part olive oil 1 part castor oil and 1 part jojoba oil for example then add some essential oil like lavender or sandlewood. Is it really this easy ? or will I just clog my pores and get acne at 35 again. Thanks for any input !!

Lots of our members here make their own and would be willing to share their knowledge. I personally don't use pre-shave oil and haven't tried making my own. Good luck and welcome aboard!

I only use a pre-shave product (actually, Castle Forbes which is water based and not an oil) for certain soaps. It is my impression that most people on B&B do not usually use a pre-shave oil. Instead, they just wash their face with soap and water and soak the beard area, then apply lather.

I don't care for pre-shave oil, however I do use a pre-shave. I like Razorock's glycerin pre-shave soap, Floid's Pre-shave gel, and Proraso pre/post. On occasion I also use GFT Skinfood. I know some people use Jojoba oil as a pre-shave. Personally, I don't think any pre-shaves are really necessary, as long as you prep well and use a decent shaving soap/cream. I just use it to minimize the chance of sustaining razor burn and nicks.

Pre-shave oil is one of those things that is an individual thing. Some find it helpful and some don't. For me, it has resulted in a better, closer shave without irritation.

I use either my own recipe or T&H pre shave oil. I have a very thick, wiry beard. Plus I have sensitive skin. I have been using pre-shave oil for years.

Pre-shave oil is designed to give your skin an added layer of protection before applying a shaving soap or cream lather. Also, it acts as a lubricant and helps the razor glide over your skin. Additional benefits of pre-shave oil are that it moisturizes the skin and protects your skin from razor burn or irritation. Pre-shave oil is one of those things that is an individual thing.

I massage that onto my face and then lather up. However, you should only use a few drops of the oil. This is not a case of where more is better. Recently, I only apply it before my ATG pass.

Withthat said, do whatever works for you.

One other thing that I do is to put water on my face each time I lather for each pass.

Don't get ripped off, make it yourself! I use 100% grape seed oil from Italy. Works wonders, and a giant bottle that will never run out in my opinion very cheap

You won't know if it adds to your shave unless you try it. As other members have said, it depends on your beard type. I have a fairly light beard and found that pre-shave oil didn't improve the quality of my shaves, so I stopped using it.

Thanks for all the replies !!! Well everyone here has made a very good point will it benefit me any ? I don't know. I'm going to try making a recipe ( one of ackvil's )and see if it helps. My beard is of a medium coarse disposition and I suffer alot from razor burn and ingrown hairs though it has become much less since I switched to a DE or use my straight. I personally feel anything that's going to add a layer between me and the blade considering how thick my hair is and if it softens the hair should help. I'll make some this morning and let everyone know how it goes.

This is another YMMV thing. You really don't need it if you technique and prep are good. You can just use your regular soap and massage it in with your hands or just face-lather and you should be fine. As long as your lather is slick enough, there shouldn't be any issues. Good luck either way.

Just a update..... I ended up getting a gift from my wife which was very unexpected... She bought me the Anthony Logistics Ultimate shave set which had a Glycolic facial wash to soften my beard during a hot shower as well as pre-shave oil !! and a shave cream and a blam. To be honest all I was really interested in was the cleaner and the oil as I was looking for oil and hence this thread. I can say without a doubt I am getting closer shaves. I finally am getting a BBS shave on my chin and uner my nose with no irratation. Now I'm not 100% sure if it's the glycolic acid or the oil but my bet is on the oil. I am going to try the shaving cream and the balm as well but so far this kit has been a winner.

Good for you! I like to hear about positive progress. I like it even more when I hear about a wife (or, as we call them here SWMBO: "She Who Must Be Obeyed") acting as a shave-enabler--she's a definite keeper! Now go out and do something nice for her. She deserves it.

I recently bought a bottle of eshave orange sandalwood pre shave oil.

I have only used it once, but did not really notice any benefits. I normally use Proraso pre every shave.

Im willing to give it another run. Maybe need to use it for a while.

Don't get ripped off, make it yourself! I use 100% grape seed oil from Italy. Works wonders, and a giant bottle that will never run out in my opinion very cheap
+1

I use straight food grade grape-seed oil. No scent, lightweight, doesn't clog pores and inexpensive. And it has known skin benefits such as rebuilding collagen and elasticity.

pre-shave oil doesn't seem to help when I have more than one day of growth, but I'm going to try it today with only one day's worth. I got Art of Shaving sandalwood oil, it's not the cheapest thing out there but boy does it smell nice..

overall I don't think the oil helps imo

Good for you! I like to hear about positive progress. I like it even more when I hear about a wife (or, as we call them here SWMBO: "She Who Must Be Obeyed") acting as a shave-enabler--she's a definite keeper! Now go out and do something nice for her. She deserves it.
+1 to SWMBO, I even converted my wife to DE shaving and she is also a member here at B&B. I have used pacific shave oil and proraso pre/post and really like both but lean toward the proraso even if its just fro the feel, also works good for a post moisturizer. The pacific oil is nice because it rinses off easily not like olive oil, it much lighter.

I make mine pretty much like standard - 50/50 EVOO/Castor then I add some essential lavender oil for scent. During the winter I have found it makes my cheeks a little less susceptible to windburn, but even the lightest amount makes my blade gunk up a little faster, so just as everyone says, YMMV, but I feel it is worth at least having some in the bag for when you feel you could use it

Top Bottom