What's new

Pre-shave oil anyone?

Do you use pre-shave oil on your...

• Face

• Head

• only occasionally

• Not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.
So I have some homemade PSO, staryed using it while I was waiting for my DE to arrive in the mail. First it was in an old smuckers bottle but now I got it in a little airplane brandy bottle, should make for better dispensing. Anyways, my recipe is 45/45/10 - EVOO/Castor oil/some of that massage oil my wife got at bath&bodyworks, kwpt me from having to figure out that "just right" scent. I just rub mine in heavy before my shave cream after my shower. Haven't tried "Kyle's prep" with it. Any tips, advice, recipe improvements?

Must be nice, I have to grind through some bristley crap to get a slick face, my head isnt so bad, but can be a little nobby on the back which makes my DE hand a little nervous, being a nube and all.

I am sold on "Shave Secret" sold at Wally World for 3.99. I've found with any PSO GO LITE. Too much causes a film on your razor, blade, and sink. IMHO too much PSO doesn't allow the edge of your blade to properly meet the whisker right at the surface of the skin. I just get way better results with just a very thin film of oil. I do massage it in very well. I use only enough to fit inside here> ( ).

I am sold on "Shave Secret" sold at Wally World for 3.99. I've found with any PSO GO LITE. Too much causes a film on your razor, blade, and sink. IMHO too much PSO doesn't allow the edge of your blade to properly meet the whisker right at the surface of the skin. I just get way better results with just a very thin film of oil. I do massage it in very well. I use only enough to fit inside here> ( ).

My dad-in-law gave me a bottle of the Shave Secret oil and I was impressed by its performance. I liked the clove scent to it also.

Must be nice, I have to grind through some bristley crap to get a slick face, my head isnt so bad, but can be a little nobby on the back which makes my DE hand a little nervous, being a nube and all.

You'll get there with experience.
I've been shower shaving with the straight for the last 6 months or so.
Still using the Mach-3 on my head, except when I've gone more than a couple of days without shaving, then I'll use the straight to mow down the bulk of it to prevent clogging.

Great info. I started making my own after I saw how much AOS charged for theirs. But never had anyone tell me how to use the stuff, beyond what the name implies that is

You'll get there with experience.
I've been shower shaving with the straight for the last 6 months or so.
Still using the Mach-3 on my head, except when I've gone more than a couple of days without shaving, then I'll use the straight to mow down the bulk of it to prevent clogging.

Straight razor on the head, now thats some skill, how long did it take ya to master that one?

So for the roughly 60% not using PSO- why not? And for those using it, do you feel a benefilt or use it cause you have it?

Last edited:
Use it on my face (full head of hair). I am generally a "shower shaver", but feel PSO helps on the first pass. I only use it on the first pass and do not reapply on subsequent passes. I've got 3 PSOs: eShave Orange Sandalwood, some American Crew (nice clove scent and tingle), and some local stuff that is really nice. It uses a variety of oil in it.

Instead of oils, I'll use a pre-shave gel. I'm fond of Em's place All Purpose Gel (I've got it in 4 "flavors"), and often use it instead of the PSO based on my mood and whims.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Everyone is different, but I haven't used preshaves in a while now. You have inspired me to try some again. :)

I got the full AoS kit which came with pre shave oil. I did not like their oil as it is too thick. So, I tried Taconic pre shave oil and love it. It comes in a pump bottle so metering the amount to use is a snap. Works great and I get better shaves with it than I do when I don't use it - which is pretty rare.

I use Proraso as a pre shave most days, not sure if it helps with the shave, but I love the menthol zing. When I have actually time to use a straight I use the Dreadnaught pre shave oil, which IMO helps prep and cushion because my straight technique is poor

I never use pre-shave oil.

I tried using olive oil a few times. It really gunked up my razors and I didn't seem to notice any benefits from it.

I used AOS PSO when I began wet shaving. I haven't used it in about a year. I made my own for a little while, but haven't used it in mothns. I don't like the way oil "sticks" to my brushes. But, as we say, YMMV!:straight:

Straight razor on the head, now thats some skill, how long did it take ya to master that one?

Still haven't mastered it, which is why I buff out with the Mach-3.

But it's not that difficult. You just have to be aware of the blade angle, and most importantly, where the toe of the blade is in relation to the back of your ears.
Beyond that, I find shaving with a straight easier than a DE.
Shaving the pits... two WTG passes and the job is done.

Top Bottom