What's new

what is wrong with my stropping?

Good evening,

I am new to straight razor shaving and recently acquired two straights, one new and one used. They both arrived in shave ready condition. The used one is 4/8 and when I strop it (I use a paddle strop) I have a very difficult time getting the toe third of the razor to pass the hanging hair test despite 200 passes. I eventually stropped with half of the razor on the strop and made a very mild arcing motion and after about 50 passes I was able to get it to pass the HHT, barely.

My new razor is 6/8 and when I did about 100 passes the toe and heel thirds would pass the HHT but the middle third of the razor would not. Again I started stropping with part of the razor off of the strop and ended up getting the middle to pass the test but it doesn't pop the hair like the toe and heel do.

Is it typical to have such varying results with different razors? Is this a reflection of my technique? Is the blade shape affecting the outcome? I was able to get the razors shave ready but am really curious about this.

Thanks

Attachments

• $DSCF0541.jpg
    $DSCF0541.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 167
  • $DSCF0539.jpg
    $DSCF0539.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 167

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Did you use an x-stroke or just a straight back and forth motion? For the most part an Xstroke or something similar will ensure all parts of the edge are hit with the leather. If you do a straight back and forth motion warps in the blade or uneven grinds or uneven wear might prevent a section from contacting the leather. In the vid I am using a diagonal stroke heel to toe up and toe to heel on the way down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Did they pass the HHT before stropping, and how many shaves are on the razors since honing?

Kent
I had thought the X-stroke was only used on narrower strops so I was going straight up and down. Easy enough solution to try over the weekend though, thanks for the advice.

Mike
Yes, both razors passed the HHT before stropping and they have one shave a piece since honing.

Thanks for the responses

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Kent
I had thought the X-stroke was only used on narrower strops so I was going straight up and down. Easy enough solution to try over the weekend though, thanks for the advice.

Mike
Yes, both razors passed the HHT before stropping and they have one shave a piece since honing.

Thanks for the responses

Ah. It's is a YMMV but unless your razor is perfectly even, which most are not, an xstroke is necessary to ensure every bit is stropped. When you start honing it may be more clear, but very few razors can be honed with pure inline up and down laps.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
That looks like a Star Shaving paddle, yes? I found mine to be quite a bit heavier than the 3" TI paddle and was having "fun" with my stropping until recently when I started laying it on my desk and using it like a bench strop instead of a hand-held paddle. I think the weight factored into subconscious extra pressure when stropping due to either putting too much weight on the blade or "lifting" the paddle to keep it in position.
Much better results for me now that I'm laying it flat on the desk. Work a try.

Thanks Kent,

I finished a decent shave and then stropped using the x-strokes. The results were definitely better this time and I'm sure they'll improve as my technique improves.

rockviper
It is a star shaving paddle. I tried holding it for a few passes when I first got it but had a little trouble maintaining contact with the strop. I lay it on the counter to do my stropping now and really like it.

Thanks everyone, looks like the problem is solved :thumbup:

just did 100 passes (50 latigo, 50 bridle) using the x-stroke with the 4/8 used razor and I am very happy with the results. very sharp and very uniform. Thanks again for the advice.

I have been using straight razors for decades. Lately, however, I seem to have lost the knack on how to strop them. I use an Illinois, and use dressing to keep it in good shape. I strop the razor in an x fashion. However, the more I strop the razor the duller it seems to get. I am honing way too often. The first shave after I hone it is great, but they deteriorate quickly.

Do you have any idea what I may be doing wrong?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
You have years of experience up on me, but any chance it's your razor? I can't imagine you stropping technique taking that much of hit.

I have been using straight razors for decades. Lately, however, I seem to have lost the knack on how to strop them. I use an Illinois, and use dressing to keep it in good shape. I strop the razor in an x fashion. However, the more I strop the razor the duller it seems to get. I am honing way too often. The first shave after I hone it is great, but they deteriorate quickly.

Do you have any idea what I may be doing wrong?

Your strop might be damaged and ruinng your edges.

Damaged how? There is not even a cut on the surface, and I have babied it for as long as I have had it. I got it new about 20 years ago, and used to strop razors, and done nothing else with it.

Damaged how? There is not even a cut on the surface, and I have babied it for as long as I have had it. I got it new about 20 years ago, and used to strop razors, and done nothing else with it.

Run your hand on the strop to check for possible damage or unevenness. The strop could also be cupping (slightly curling). BTW using the strop for 20 years is impressive.

Top Bottom