What's new

Home made holster

Today I received some items in the mail to make a holster for my 1911 CS. In the package was a piece of horse hide, some screws and some kytex. Took my Crossbreed to make the shape of the leather, seem to be a good fit. Wasn't quite sure how to mold the kytex but thought maybe our vacuum sealer might work. Heated up the kytex in the oven to right about 350 degree. Once up to temp I put it in a sealer bag with the pistol as a mold and sealed it. It actually worked pretty darn good I thought.

Got the leather cut, the holes drilled and the kytex molded and cut. Here's what I came up with, might have to trim around the grips a bit more but as is there's no problem with drawing.

For under 20 bucks and about an hour or so of time it turned out ok.

Attachments

• $P1000277 (640x480).jpg
    $P1000277 (640x480).jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 63
  • $P1000283 (640x480).jpg
    $P1000283 (640x480).jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 64
  • $P1000285 (640x480).jpg
    $P1000285 (640x480).jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 63
Excellent job.
I would be a bit concerned about the intrusion into the trigger guard. Personally, I'd reheat that section and push the area immediately in front of the trigger back out a bit.

Made an adjustment to expose more of the grips. As to the intrusion into the trigger, it doesn't seem to hinder the function in any way. I looked up other kytex holsters and a lot of them look the same in the trigger area.

Attachments

• $P1000291 (640x480).jpg
    $P1000291 (640x480).jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 40

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
As long as the leather is malleable enough for the guard to slide into it's kydex molding, I would think that having it molded like that would make the weapon more secure. My only concern would be if the kydex could contact the trigger while re-holstering. The thumb safety should keep things locked up but things can happen.

I holstered and reholstered with the hammer back and the slide safety off while engaging the thumb safety. Seems to work fine.

As long as the leather is malleable enough for the guard to slide into it's kydex molding, I would think that having it molded like that would make the weapon more secure. My only concern would be if the kydex could contact the trigger while re-holstering. The thumb safety should keep things locked up but things can happen.

Agreed. I wasn't referring to the entire indentation. The area just behind the front of the TG will indeed assist with retention, and I like that, it just makes me nervous having the rear portion in contact with the trigger.
Obviously not a problem now, but I'm thinking in the field reholstering if a piece of gravel finds it's way in there. It's unlikely, just a concern.

Top Bottom