What's new

Noob in SF Bay

What's going on guys. From my name you can guess alot about me. Was an 0351 Assaultman and did 2 Iraq tours. So after 4 years of constantly having to shave everyday under usually horrendous conditions in the Marine Corps, I took a three year hiatus of shaving and then not shaving. I had an aversion to shaving. Electrics never give me a good cut and multiblade cartridges give me constant problems. So like most of you I have made the decision to go to a DE. I considered going the straight razor route but the learning curve and higher up front cost made me shy away.

I started lurking this page about 2 weeks ago. I'm still in the research phase and looking to start buying soon. I have most of my buying decisions down other than a few.

Still looking for a good razor to buy. I want something heavy, a TTO,open comb, with a long handle, undecided on adjustable or not, if good quality. Does such a razor exist? Maybe a vintage with a heavy bobs razor works handle?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome!
I can't speak for the vintage options out there, but if you're looking for some heavy duty, long handled razors perhaps you'd like a slant? Check out a Merkur 39c Sledgehammer. It's a beautiful beast, but not a TTO. Its a 2 piece which in my opinion is next best.
But in all honesty, there are many fantastic heavy razors out there that im sure other folks can chime in and help out on. Also, perhaps check out an R41 with a Weber Bulldog Handle. Maybe piecing together your own razor is the way to go. The UFO handles are pretty beefy too. Enjoy!

Welcome to the forum!
i doubt such a razor exists. There are many vintage Gillette TTO open-combs, but none with a long handle and heavy. You may want to consider the Fatboy for a vintage one or the long-handle Progress, or Mergress for a modern, for adjustables.
Good luck.

What's going on guys. From my name you can guess alot about me. Was an 0351 Assaultman and did 2 Iraq tours. So after 4 years of constantly having to shave everyday under usually ****ty conditions in the Marine Corps, I took a three year hiatus of shaving and then not shaving. I had an aversion to shaving. Electrics never give me a good cut and multiblade cartridges give me constant problems. So like most of you I have made the decision to go to a DE. I considered going the straight razor route but the learning curve and higher up front cost made me shy away.

I started lurking this page about 2 weeks ago. I'm still in the research phase and looking to start buying soon. I have most of my buying decisions down other than a few.

Still looking for a good razor to buy. I want something heavy, a TTO,open comb, with a long handle, undecided on adjustable or not, if good quality. Does such a razor exist? Maybe a vintage with a heavy bobs razor works handle?

Welcome to B&B! I recommend visiting our B/S/T (Buy, sell, trade) section for great deals.

The DE you described doesn't exist...yet. If you like a heavy razor I would go with Merkur 38C or Merkur Futur (adjustable). You can get a Tweezerman ($15), a Shavemac, or Simpson brush and a shave stick shaving soap (Tabac, Palmolive, Dr Harris, Arko). Westcoastshaving, and Bullgooseshaving offer great products.

For straight razors I recommend going with "sight unseen" deal from Whipped Dog for about $55. You get a shave-ready razor, strop, and crox on balsa to get you started.

Feel free to ask questions.

One vet to another, welcome aboard! I would recommend a Merkur Futur for an adjustable. Not TTO, but big and heavy and adjustable.

Welcome to the Badger and Blade! Good luck in your search. Finding a great razor that works well for you may take time. I would recommend a vintage Gillette Slim adjustable model to allow you the flexibility initially, and then you could experiment with other razors. Good luck!

Welcome to B&B,

Try a few razors and you might be surprised by what you actually prefer. I have XL hands and I thought I'd favor longer handles.

It didn't work out that way in reality. I hardly notice the length.

You might want to think about a single edge Gem Micromatic Open Comb. Really a wonderful shaver (made me leave DE's) and not as scary as some might lead you to think. If you decide that way, give me a PM and I'll PIF one to you. However you go, welcome to B&B, some nice people here

Hi USMCVet, welcome to B&B--the kindest and most well-mannered piece of the internet!

Thanks for your service. If you're interested in getting a free "Veteran" name tag just contact one of the Moderators and they'll sort it out for you.

Feel free to stroll around and ask any questions that you think of. That's what we're here for. Enjoy your time here.

Welcome to B&B, the razor you've described doesnt exist but if you're looking for a TTO, long handle then get yourself a Krona...if you want a long handle adjustable TTO then get a Black Beauty....both are great razors you wont regret having, good luck!

Top Bottom