What's new

Feather Artist Club SS

Does anyone else use the Feather Artist Club SS? I load mine with the super pro blade.

I'm wondering what your results are.

I have a very thick coarse beard and sensitive skin. The SS gives me an odd shave, hard to characterize. It seems to do a good job of bulk reduction, but not very good at polishing up the short hairs left over.

Anyone else experience this?

I think my technique is good. I've been touching up with a Dovo Shavette and a Feather DE snapped in half. I get BBS with one pass WTG on the SS and one pass ATG with the Dovo.

I was just expecting something more dramatic from what I heard based on the SS reviews, but it gets the job done...

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Yup I had a similar experience.

It does take a different technique than a normal Straight. Dare I say you need a bit of angle and pressure? We traditional straight users are accustomed to go flatter on the ATG, but with the SS you need to keep the angle or the rounded lips on the holder will keep the blade from contacting the skin. Also pressing those lips ever so lightly into the skin will help too. Scything and guillotine strokes will help as well. YMMV tho and razor burn is always just on the cusp of bad technique :wink:

Mike - a little over 2 months. I had a passable shave immediately, it just struck me as odd in a way that's hard to explain. I think with experience it could be really good. There's just something off about it with the way I'm using it and I can't put my finger on just what that is.

Kento - Thanks for your feedback. I'll try more angle and pressure, being a bit more aggressive with it. At first it seemed so smooth I didn't think it was doing anything at all! I haven't had any razor burn with it, but it seems to be more exfoliating than the other razors I've used.

Does anyone else use the Feather Artist Club SS? I load mine with the super pro blade.

I'm wondering what your results are.

I have a very thick coarse beard and sensitive skin. The SS gives me an odd shave, hard to characterize. It seems to do a good job of bulk reduction, but not very good at polishing up the short hairs left over.

Anyone else experience this?

I think my technique is good. I've been touching up with a Dovo Shavette and a Feather DE snapped in half. I get BBS with one pass WTG on the SS and one pass ATG with the Dovo.

I was just expecting something more dramatic from what I heard based on the SS reviews, but it gets the job done...

I have a thread on the SS (and other variants), including lots of photos:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/329225-Received-Feather-SS-no-turning-back-now

As to your specific question, I think the results you are getting might be due to the lip/guard on the SS:
proxy.php

I now prefer find the edge on the DX (and the CJB clone), since it allows for a lower angle (between the face and the blade holder/head), which to me makes for a more comfortable and more efficient method:
proxy.php

Here is the SS on the left, the DX in the middle, and the CJB on the right:
proxy.php

I have Feather Light, Feather Guard, and KAI Mild Guard blades - let me know via PM if you want a PIF of any of these for you to try out in your SS.

Will

Last edited:
I share the sentiments of the OP as well. I am currently using an Artist Club SS Japanese razor and am considering trying out a DX as the head design appears to be a tad more aggressive and hopefully I won't have to try so hard on my subsequent passes to get the remainder of my stubble. I also get some tugging with my SS that I'm hoping the DX may alleviate.

I share the sentiments of the OP as well. I am currently using an Artist Club SS Japanese razor and am considering trying out a DX as the head design appears to be a tad more aggressive and hopefully I won't have to try so hard on my subsequent passes to get the remainder of my stubble. I also get some tugging with my SS that I'm hoping the DX may alleviate.

Yes, the DX allows you a larger range of shave angles. After using the SS, CJB, and DX, I find the DX the best and more versatile of them all.

I don't own or ever used the DX, but I do have the SS japanese razor. You can get a more shallow angle with it for ATG. I just lay it flat against my face and gradually raised the back edge until I feel it cutting. At first I wasn't sure about this razor, but after spending more time with it each successive shave has gotten better. I'm starting to prefer this razor and I've only had it for two weeks!

I don't own or ever used the DX, but I do have the SS japanese razor. You can get a more shallow angle with it for ATG. I just lay it flat against my face and gradually raised the back edge until I feel it cutting. At first I wasn't sure about this razor, but after spending more time with it each successive shave has gotten better. I'm starting to prefer this razor and I've only had it for two weeks!

Yes, the SS it works really well. And the Japanese handle version of the SS felt/handled better than the folding type - very good ergonomics.

I don't know which blades you are using, but the Super Professional sticks out a little bit more than the other Feather blades. I would try that before spending the money on a DX.

Top Bottom