What's new

Ginger or Mary Ann? Mike's or Neumann's? Mike's or Mystic? Help!

My first post. Been wet shaving about 6 months and have only used TOBS. Looking to move up to artisan soaps. Leaning towards Neumanns, but Mike's is half the price.

Please advise

You cannot beat Mikes. Period.

Mystic Waters is also excellent (and is slicker) but is more work to lather. Some people put more stock into ease of lathering than others.

Mike's and Mystic are both nice. I favor Mike's by a little. His scents seem a little more real to me, but that's pretty subjective. Others feel the opposite. You could get samples of both and go from there. I haven't tried Neumann's.

Love the performance of Mike's soap but until I was PIF'ed some Hungarian Lavender, didn't care for the scents I tried. That one was excellent. You can't go wrong with Mike's at his price point.

And since no one else has addressed your real question...Ginger. Ginger all the way.

Mike's soaps are great. Just amazing. So are Mystic Waters, and so are Queen Charlotte Soaps. Personally, I think you need all three (especially because they are all made by active B&B members.)

Is your choice of soap more about scent or performance?

I don't use scented soaps, so I evaluate products just on how they perform for me. In terms of slickness and quality of shaves, based entirely on my own personal experience, I'd rank them:

QCS
Mike's
Mystic Waters

Of the three, I find QCS the easiest to lather, too.

I don't care about packaging, but if I did I'd have to give the win to Neumann's. Their design is slick, but I prefer slickness in my lather. I haven't used their products, so I don't know how they compare in terms of performance.

Nick

Ginger or Mary Ann?

I will stick with the tried and true B&B answer BOTH $smiley_ROFLMAO.gif

Thanks everyone for your quick responses. You have really helped me deciding to go with Mike's. I don't buy a lot of different products to try. I buy and then use the product completely before ordering again (unless the product is completely worthless). My main priority is slickness and comfort during/after the shave, my second criteria is smell.

I'll let you know how I fair with Mikes in a few weeks.

I'd like to recommend another contender for your shaving attention: Strop Shoppe. Strop Shoppe Special Edition soaps are the equal or superior of every product I have tried. They are slightly more expensive than some of the other artisans but you really are getting a superior quality product. I have other soaps and I use them often but Strop Shoppe SE Black Tie (with tallow) is the only soap that I routinely use more than twice in a row (so many soaps, why stick to just one).

I can't say whether their products are better than Mystic Waters or Queen Charlotte soaps (I plan to order some of each soon) but I can say they are better than any of the mass market brands I have tried yet.

I have (or had ) all of them. Honestly, they're all good soaps. Nuemann's is a melt and pour if that matters to anyone. I'd pick Mystic Water as the "one" but I'm splitting hairs, Mike's and QCS are very good soaps too.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your foray into other soaps and creams; however, not sure it will necessarily be a "move up." TOBS, particularly the cream, is good stuff. Enjoy the voyage and welcome to B&B.

Top Bottom