What's new

Heljestrand?

In my search for a great razor there is on name that everyone mentions. My question is: are all Heljestrands very good razors? Some people look particularly for a Mk 34, others for a Mk 3x.

The ones I mostly see on ebay and so are "just" Heljestrands, sometimes with a make (different from Mk 3x). If these razors are in good condition, should they most likely be good razors? Or is there a large quality difference within the Heljestrand brand?

I haven't seen or heard of one that was "bad". The MK line is higher class, and priced accordingly. A good number of the MK's came with ivory scales, and they were supposedly ground by the master cutlers.

They are all great razors and currently high in price based on demand. The "MK" series is a more desirable than the others in many people's minds so they will command a higher price.

The "M" in MK stands for Master (Master Quality in Swedish), and the "B" in BK stands for Best. All Heljestrands are great quality razors; the MK's are just a notch above.. I have a BK42 and its a wonderful shaver!

The "M" in MK stands for Master (Master Quality in Swedish), and the "B" in BK stands for Best. All Heljestrands are great quality razors; the MK's are just a notch above.. I have a BK42 and its a wonderful shaver!

JP I think your BK 42 and my BK41 are identical except the scales. I also have a MK23 that looks to be very similar (grind, size) to the BK41 and 42. I am going to clean up and hone the MK23 and do a comparison of "Master" and "Best" of near identical razors.

JP I think your BK 42 and my BK41 are identical except the scales. I also have a MK23 that looks to be very similar (grind, size) to the BK41 and 42. I am going to clean up and hone the MK23 and do a comparison of "Master" and "Best" of near identical razors.

Here's my BK42. I bought it off of Scott (life2short) a few weeks ago...what a wonderful shaver it is!! I'll be interested to see what your comparison is!! :thumbup1:

View attachment 309690

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I blame Honed for the uptick in Swedish Steel razor prices. And Scott. Oh and David and the rest of you lot too! I can't find em anymore at reasonable prices.

It would just be a waste for you anyway Kent. You'd just break off the ivory scales to use it like a kamisori anyway. :)

Top Bottom