What's new

What is your Scotch rotation

@Haggises, @eezee, @steep-n-shallow, @Price, @Doc4 (great vid!!) Thank you for the great info! I hope I didn't hijack this thread too badly, but it seemed like the right place to get some good information.

May I present the first of my Scotch rotation, a birthday present to myself, and boy is it delicious...

View attachment 675244

This was the first bottle I bought (or LOML bought for me) that I thought "I could really get into this stuff"
Just the right amount of peat and very smooth.

My Scotch rotation involves:

- Aberfeldy 12
- Aberfeldy 21
- Balvenie 12 Double Wood
- Glenlivet 18
- Highland Park 18

Running low, unfortunately :(

Bruichladdich Islay Barley 2007
Ardberg 10
Nikka Coffey grain

The Nikka is a very unique and interesting whisky which I would highly recommend so far it's my absolute favourite .

These are all the bottles I have open...
Laphroaig 10
Grants Family Reserve (Decent blended)
Glenlivet 12
GlenDronach 12
Dimple Pinch (Another decent blended)
Speyburn 10
Balvenie Double Wood
Glenmorangie 10
Auchentoshan Three Wood (VERY GOOD!)
Teachers Highland Cream (Good cheap blended)
McClellands Lowland
John Barr Black (Good cheap blended)

These are all the bottles I have open...
Laphroaig 10
Grants Family Reserve (Decent blended)
Glenlivet 12
GlenDronach 12
Dimple Pinch (Another decent blended)
Speyburn 10
Balvenie Double Wood
Glenmorangie 10
Auchentoshan Three Wood (VERY GOOD!)
Teachers Highland Cream (Good cheap blended)
McClellands Lowland
John Barr Black (Good cheap blended)

I've heard good things about the Auchentoshan Three Wood. How would you describe or compare it??

Very "bourbony". My wife really doesn't like scotch but she likes bourbon. I got her to taste it and she actually liked it!

Ive been enjoying this tasty bottle lately. The term "smooth" is an understatement!

I only wish it had a little more flavor. its a pretty light scotch. Very good for beginners.

Perhaps my fellow members can help in my scotch journey. I recently tried a Macallan 18. at $30 a drink it was spendy but I absolutely LOVED it! A splash of water brings out the malty, caramel, okainess. It had a great depth of flavor without being too powerful and a really nice smoky ending.

At $220 a bottle, I cant really justify the expense, but i would love to find something comparable. I am afraid to try an Islay as they have a reputation for being very peat heavy on the front end and im not sure I want smoke to be the main experience. Any advice?

Last edited:
Perhaps my fellow members can help in my scotch journey. I recently tried a Macallan 18. at $30 a drink it was spendy but I absolutely LOVED it! A splash of water brings out the malty, caramel, okainess. It had a great depth of flavor without being too powerful and a really nice smoky ending.

At $220 a bottle, I cant really justify the expense, but i would love to find something comparable. I am afraid to try an Islay as they have a reputation for being very peat heavy on the front end and im not sure I want smoke to be the main experience. Any advice?

Never had the Macallan 18 (although I have enjoyed the 12). Glenmorangie 18 is superb at about half that. Dalwhinnie Distiller's Edition is another I really enjoyed.

And for what it's worth, I'd say at least try an Islay. You know you're going to wonder if you don't. It's certainly different, but I enjoy both.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Well, I'd agree with Price that you should try an Islay just so you know what the fuss is about, even if you don't end up liking them. This is where having a glass at a good bar helps, so you don't have to spend for the whole bottle. I'd say Lagavulin 16 and Laphroaig 10 or Quarter-cask are where you should start ... and stop if you don't like them.

But those will be nothing like the Macallan 18 you so much enjoyed.

What you want are other scotches from the same scotch-making region, namely Speyside.

proxy.php

this is a different kind of "map", helping you plot "similar" scotches. I'm guessing the light blue dots are "Islay", the darker blue are "Islands", the purple are "Speyside" and so forth.

proxy.php

Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are common and popular Speyside malts that, along with Macallan, are the "ones everyone knows and tries" and are good introductions. Cragganmore (mentioned by Price above) is also a good one.

I am afraid to try an Islay as they have a reputation for being very peat heavy on the front end and im not sure I want smoke to be the main experience. Any advice?

Highland Park 12 is what paved the way for me to enjoy the campfire in the bottle (Lagavulin 16) I had sitting in the back of my liquor cabinet. By the time I was done with the bottle of HP 12 I went back to the Lagavulin and could believe how much I enjoyed it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Highland Park 12 has been my go to for about a year and a half, now, but some Lagavulin incarnations are trying to take the hill.

Highland Park 12 is what paved the way for me to enjoy the campfire in the bottle (Lagavulin 16) I had sitting in the back of my liquor cabinet. By the time I was done with the bottle of HP 12 I went back to the Lagavulin and could believe how much I enjoyed it.

Highland Park 12 has been my go to for about a year and a half, now, but some Lagavulin incarnations are trying to take the hill.

Caol Ila is the one that paved the way for me! Even after rotating back to my Oban 14 and Talisker 10 I keep going back to the Caol Ila. I'm pretty sure Lagavulin 16 will be next...

:sailor:

My Scotch rotation? Add a few drops of cold water to the glass and swirl gently, then consume with pleasure.

About an hour ago, I cracked open a bottle of JW Green that my brother gifted me on Thanksgiving.

I diluted it about 10:1 with distilled water, and its still kicking my butt.

My Scotch rotation? Add a few drops of cold water to the glass and swirl gently, then consume with pleasure.
:lol:
About an hour ago, I cracked open a bottle of JW Green that my brother gifted me on Thanksgiving.

I diluted it about 10:1 with distilled water, and its still kicking my butt.
Sounds like the scotch rotated you!! I've been there myself.:lol:

Had some Dalwhinney last night and was reminded how much I like that scotch. Light on the peat but just enough to give it character. Smooth and tasted wonderful!!

Top Bottom