What's new

What is your Scotch rotation

I'm not one to keep a rotation but I do pick up a bottle every week or so. Aberlour A'bunadh and Macallan cask strength are my two go to's. Ill deviate here and there depending on how adventurous I'm feeling. I'll try about anything with a good deep color and no peat to the taste.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Sometimes I drink them until the room rotates. Does that count as a scotch rotation?

Mine is not so much a rotation as a continually evolving exploration.

proxy.php

Currently mine consists of;
- Laphroaig 10yo
- Lagavulin 16yo
- Highland Park 18yo
- Macallan 'Fine Oak' 18yo
- Johnnie Walker Green Label
- Bailie Nicol Jarvie

However, that has been helped by some generous friends at my 30th b'day in Dec.

Usually the cupboard holds;
- BNJ or Monkey Shoulder for casual drinking
- JW Green
- one other 'upper' shelf, such as the Laga 16, Ardbeg or Aberloud A'bunadh...whatever I'm curious to try.

Whatever decent blended is on sale (Cutty, JW Red, Chivas, Famous Grouse, etc). Unfortunately (or fortunately for my wallet), my taster is not sophisticated enough to discern fine single malt from decent blended. As far as picking out the various aroma and taste notes - swing and a miss for me. Couldn't do it if a gun was pointed at my head.

I normally only have one single malt and one blend on hand at a time... on account'a I'm poor. Sometimes I drink them until the room rotates. Does that count as a scotch rotation?

+1 Now that's funny. Sadly I can relate, although SWMBO encouraged me to buy three bottles of Scotch on our cruise, a Balvinie Doublewood, a Glenfiddich 15, and a Dewars Blue Label. Her little spending spree in Nassau was well worth it.

No one has mentioned my favorite winter dram Ardbeg 10. Super peaty and an amazing value.

for Summer Highland Park 12 - also one of the best values out there.

I normally only have one single malt and one blend on hand at a time... on account'a I'm poor. Sometimes I drink them until the room rotates. Does that count as a scotch rotation?
I used to have a lot of bottles open at any one time. But I've learned since that the flavours degraded much-more-quickly than I'd realised. So to do justice to your brown-spirits you should open a bottle and drink it until it is dead. With a cheaper blend on-hand for when you wish to continue until the room itself starts to rotate and you don't wish to waste the single-malts (for that truly would be a waste :) )

These days I drink whatever is open and I ensure that what is open and what is queued-up is always of high quality. I hardly ever repeat a whiskey - why would I need to after all - so many quality single-malts.....so little time (and money to purchase them with alas)

I actually use the inert gas that you can buy to preserve wine to keep my nicer whiskies fresh.

I have never though about doing that, I have a few of the wine bottle savers lying around ill have to give a try. I always seem to have way more bottles open than I should.

No one has mentioned my favorite winter dram Ardbeg 10. Super peaty and an amazing value.

for Summer Highland Park 12 - also one of the best values out there.

Yes to both, though I do concur on the recommendations for the Highland Park 15. I grew up about 100 yards from the ocean and the Ardbeg reminds me of home ... and a bonfire on the beach.

This great thread inspired me to have a rummage through my treasure chest. While leaving me somewhat abashed, here's the inventory;

The Balvenie Doublewood 12
The Balvenie Single Cask 15
The Balvenie Portwood 21
Highland Park 12
Highland Park "1998" 12
The Glenlivet 12
The Glenlivet French Oak 15
Aberlour 12
Glenfiddich 12
Laphroig 10
Glenmorangie 10
Clynelish 14
Dalwhinnie 15
Rare Malts Inchgower 1974 22 (dusted off and for dessert right now... quite special)

I have some drinking to do....:ohmy:

Slainte!

I actually use the inert gas that you can buy to preserve wine to keep my nicer whiskies fresh.
Dang that is some organisation. Fair dues man - I would not have the patience for that at all. Also my way encourages drinking it all up! Its good for you - or something :thumbup:

Dang that is some organisation. Fair dues man - I would not have the patience for that at all. Also my way encourages drinking it all up! Its good for you - or something :thumbup:

I generally drink a glass or two of red wine each evening so I only have scotch maybe one or twice a week. So my bottles last a long time.

At the moment:
2xPort Charlotte single casks
Springbank private cask
Caol Ila 1980
Highland Park 1982
Convalmore Rare Malts
Glendullan Rare Malts

Wouldn't really call it a rotation, as I don't drink for ages a lot of the time and then will drink a few nights in a row or similar, but I currently have in:

Laphroiag 10 Cask Strength
Ardbeg 10
Glenmorangie 10
Highland Park 18
Strathisla 12
Glenfarclas 105
Glenfiddich 18
Dalwhinnie

Not a fan of the Glenfiddich or Glenmorangie. Favourites there are the HP18, Ardbeg and the Glenfarclas.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I have way too many to list. But since it's been snowing this week, it's been all peat and smoke for me.

Lagavulin 16
Ardbeg 12
Laphroaig 10 and Cask Strength
Caol Ila 12
Talisker 10
Like butterscotch and honey. Yummy!

Top Bottom