What's new

Weber DLC Stay Away Rust and Stripped Head

After having the Weber DLC for a few months and using it very little, I've got to report that things got worse today. The head stripped out now the razor is completely useless. I've been battling rust issues from the beginning. I use the same Personna SS medical blades on my Feather AS, Merkur Futur, Stahly, and my new Weber polished razors with no rust issues.

I just got the Weber polished and it seems to be a vast improvement. The DLC is just a bad product in my experience. I would caution anyone against buying one of these razors. I asked for a swap from Weber to no avail.

$P1000405.JPG$P1000406.JPG$P1000407.JPG$P1000408.JPG$P1000409.JPG

You know, I just can't understand vendors who don't stand by their products in this day and age of the internet. People can now so easily post really detailed pictures showing product defects that it's almost guaranteed that bad customer service will become public in no time.

Thanks for posting your experience.

Yikes.

Do you leave a wet blade in place after shaving? That would help to explain the rust (surface rust from the blade), but there's no defense for the stripped threads.

I do all my razors the same - shake them off and let them air dry after each use. I clean them once per week when I change the blade.

That is crazy for stainless steel to have rust like that, my DLC is over a year old and been in regular once a week rotation...still looks almost new. Is the handle rusty at all?

I'm surprised Weber didn't give you a new polished razor in exchange....maybe they will see this thread.

Yikes.

Do you leave a wet blade in place after shaving? That would help to explain the rust (surface rust from the blade), but there's no defense for the stripped threads.

I have to give feedback on this since I tend to leave wet blades in my razors all the time, just merkur and FaTip, and I never once had a single bit of rust form on the razor. Now the razor blade may have had a little rust but my razors never showed any signs of damage.

I have to give feedback on this since I tend to leave wet blades in my razors all the time, just merkur and FaTip, and I never once had a single bit of rust form on the razor. Now the razor blade may have had a little rust but my razors never showed any signs of damage.

+10,000,000

Right, sorry, this is what I meant. That the rust should form on the blade only, but it can appear to be on the razor itself until a simple wipe with a damp cloth removes it completely.

There's definitely something weird going on there. I've got one of the early DLC Webers and I've had nothing remotely like that happen. Mine is still more or less like new, and I don't do anything special to take care of it -- heck, I leave blades in it all the time.

Sorry to hear that. I have one similar to yours and it is now at least one year old - but with zero rust issues.

Did you send photos to Weber?

This is from the Weber website: "Weber Razor LLC warrants our razors to its original purchaser for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase against defects in material and workmanship. Our warranty does not cover damage due to improper use, normal wear and tear (e.g. scratches) as well as defects that have a negligible effect on the operation of the razor. To obtain service within the warranty period, simply ship the razor with a copy of your sales receipt to Weber Razor and we will repair or replace the defective part."

What do you put it down on?
I've had some really weird rust develop on straights, and the only thing that seems to be the reason is that they were touching each other.

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen anything like that. Is that really supposed to be a stainless steel head? It looks like they used pig iron or something to make that head.

Yep, I ran it by Weber and they said clean it with soap and they wouldn't swap it. I only approached them about the rust. The head just stripped out today making the razor useless now. They already said no to the rust issue swap so I'm not going to waste anymore time trying to ask again. It's been like this from the beginning. I treat all my razors the same and store them in the same place. This is the only one with rust and a stripped head issue.

Here's the email response I sent them about a week ago prior to the threads stripping.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the purchases. We would not be able to swap out the DLC, but a
suggestion would be clean the razor with soap and a soft bristle brush and
then removing the blade after use. From the pictures, there appears to be
an issue with rust transferring from the blade.

Ed
Weber Razor

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got the polished Weber a few weeks ago. This is a much better
improvement over the DLC. This is my new daily razor. My DLC has been a
rust bucket from the beginning. Any chance you would swap out my rusty DLC
for another polished razor?

Here are some photos of the DLC a few weeks after I got it - it's much
worse now.

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/515/img0136h.jpg
imageshack.us/photo/my-images/441/img0137le.jpg
imageshack.us/photo/my-images/406/img0138hm.jpg
imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/img0139kj.jpg
imageshack.us/photo/my-images/525/img0135y.jpg

I've got several razors and the DLC is the only rusty one of the lot.

that looks terrible! I'm surprised they wouldn't swap it for you.

i do the same as you after i shave, leave the blade in for a week and clean the razor before i change the blade.

No rust on my DLC (yet!), i've had it since last August.

EDIT: i've not used med preps in it though

Top Bottom