What's new

knife tests

I am getting more into knives and know just enough to not know much. Is there any way you test out a new knife? I don't use them very hard but want to know if it will stand up when I need it to.

Post a picture of knife and what you expect, like mule skinning or filleting fish. $ggfredrazor.jpg This knife was used to put meat on the table for a family of 10.

My EDC knives generally get put through the wringer at work so I tend to buy decent but less expensive blades. I rotate a CKRT, Kershaw and Swiss Army through EDC right now. Because of the abuse they take daily, I generally don't feel a need to test them. I will verify that a new knife has a good edge and I will check the bevel. I prefer a wider bevel on my work knives. Also, I will check the locking mechanism (if equipped) to make sure that it isn't going to snap shut on my hand. Other than that, I just use them...

I am getting more into knives and know just enough to not know much. Is there any way you test out a new knife? I don't use them very hard but want to know if it will stand up when I need it to.

What type of knives? Activities do you use them for?

One word: Benchmade.

I use mine at the warehouse and at customer's places, mainly cardboard. Highly recommend a locking blade with pocket clip.

Yep, Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, ZT.... Lots of good choices.

As mentioned, let us know what if any preferences you may have and what intended tasks you want it for.

Ken

I bought the first picture and the one on top in the second picture. I am going to get back into camping and who knows what else. I bought these from a reputable place I was just trying to figure out it there were anything that I could do while I am sitting inside with too much time on my hands with them.

I bought the first picture and the one on top in the second picture. I am going to get back into camping and who knows what else. I bought these from a reputable place I was just trying to figure out it there were anything that I could do while I am sitting inside with too much time on my hands with them.

Maybe something from Bark River, then? They make nice stuff. But I really like the three on the bottom.

Ken

The bottom is G.L. Drew and the top is Hard edge knives. The bottom is the one I bought first not paying attention to the specs its a little short for what I was wanting. A nice knife just not big enough.

When I get a new knife to use camping or in the woods I start using them in the kitchen for anything I can reasonably to get an idea how it handles and if it will hold the edge. What I want from a knife of this type if it will not cut some carrots, celery and cube some steak for a stew without problems the knife is a turd no matter who made it.

When I get a new knife to use camping or in the woods I start using them in the kitchen for anything I can reasonably to get an idea how it handles and if it will hold the edge. What I want from a knife of this type if it will not cut some carrots, celery and cube some steak for a stew without problems the knife is a turd no matter who made it.

THIS! My Kershaw OD-1 flipper has proven itself on strip steak, and will again the end of march...my company throws a "steak out" but provides plastic knives... so most of the guys pull out their pocket knives :) My Buck 110 would probably do even better (bigger, thicker blade, just as sharp) but I usually don't have it.

Top Bottom