What's new

Artisan soaps

I got a ton of Cella shaving soap and I'm loving it. As much as I like BBQ food, I wouldn't eat it every day. So off I go in my search for other soaps and creams. Needless to say there's an overwhelming amount of choices out there. What I do in this situation is to find a theme. By that I mean something in common that helps me weed out many other choices. It can be anything. Soap or cream, veggie or tallow, a particular scent from different brands, nationality, you name it.

First thing that draw my attention was hydrolast from Enchante. Mister Roberts seems to have a love or hate relationship in this forum. I don't want to start another discussion about his products, just to mention that while reading about it the small and dusty proverbial light bulb switched on in my brain. I have found my theme! Its got to be an artisan product. Something done by a guy (or gal) for the love of the trade. In this case soap making and/or shaving. Now, we can sit here and argue endlessly as to how good hydrolast really is, but there's something pretty clear, Mr Rogers is certainly passionate about wet shaving so he fits my theme. Plus it's in Austin so I owe them a visit. Searching further I found Mama Bears, Queen Charlotte, and Al's shaving products. Also Tabula Rasa which seems to be cream made by a lady in Germany, but at $10 an once its a bit too rich for me at this time. I thought that was enough for now. Hydrolast products gives me a handful of base soaps to try and MB, QCS, and Al's soaps give me, lets say, a "bag of soaps".

The thing is that the more I think about it the more I like to make this a permanent theme. Then decided that it will be best if I make a list of artisan soaps and then choose three or four that are substantially different. Hydrolast is rather unique so it's the first on my list. Mama Bear seems to have an unusual amount of glycerin (20% according to their website). Don't know if that makes them special so will welcome comments on this brand. Cella will always be part of my rotation. Maybe b/s it's my first decent shaving soap or maybe b/s it's that good. I'm also getting some Valobra Crema di Sapone Purissima. Yes, I know, these two are not artisan soaps but I like Cella a lot and want to try Valobra anyways.

So, can you help me compile an artisan soaps list? I'm not ruling out creams but prefer soaps. Will prefer American artisan soaps but like to hear about anything out there. Small operations will be best to me. For example eShave might be an excellent cream but they are sold by many retailers so will prefer to buy and support smaller outfits. Also if you don't mind please let me know if there's anything unique to a particular artisan product. I thank you in advance.

Saint Charles Shave, Queen Charlotte Shaving, Mystic Water, Strop Shoppe... We've got quite a few artisans that post on our forums and they all make some pretty great stuff.

Add to that Mama Bear's, Mike's Natural Soaps. I only use artisans now. They really don't cost much, are much fresher IMHO, and service is extraordinary.

Mystic waters, mikes, queen Charlotte soaps, Benton clay, honeybee spa, mama bear, jabonman, st Charles shave, etc.
plenty of choices.

+10000000000 for Mystic Water! Fanastic soap. Check out Michelle's Website for more info (I don't really know much about what makes soaps special, but this is by far the nicest soap I've used so far).

Enjoy the process ... it's a lot of fun discovering great scents and what agrees best with your skin. Call people too ... talking to the makers is very cool and insightful. :thumbup:

Rose .... Limes ... Violets .... sandalwoods ... citrus ... blends ... it's a very exciting time with some fun products.

Last edited:
Ok, so my list so far is:

Enchante (Hydrolast products) www.enchanteonline.com
Mama Bear Soaps LLC www.mamabearssoaps.com
Queen Charlotte Soaps www.queencharlottesoaps.com
Al's Shaving Products www.alsshaving.com
Mike’s Natural Soaps www.mikesnaturalsoaps.com
Tabula Rasa www.leesrazors.com
Mystic Water Soap www.mysticwatersoap.com
The Strop Shoppe www.stropshoppe.com
Saint Charles Shave www.saintcharlesshave.com
Calani www.royalshave.com
Jabonman (Spanish soap maker) www.afeitadoclasico.com
[email protected]
Honeybee Soaps www.honeybeesoaps.net
Benton clay www.bentonclay.com
Spencer & Devon www.spencerdevon.com

My two choices so far are Mama Bear and Enchante. Two more to choose.

Last edited:
I'm more of a non-tallow user. Right now I'm on a Strop Shoppe kick. It's my top recommendation and an excellent product IMHO. I'll be ordering Spencer & Devon to try soon. In the past I've been entertained by and can recommend Al's, Tabula Rasa, and Calani.

If it were me, I'd make sure at least 1 of my 4, and maybe 2, were soaps with tallow. Of that list you have, I know the following have tallow

Mikes Natural Soap
Mystic Water
Queen Charlotte

Perhaps some of the others do as well.

From what I have read in this forum they sell the olive oil and other soaps that they don't make and that should be used with the hydrolast products that they do make themselves. That's why they call them base soaps or something like that. I do consider them artisans since they make their own cream (which needs to be mixed with soap), balms, and after shave lotion. Don't know if they actually make all their products (except for the soaps) or some of them in their shop or if they formulate all of them and have someone else manufacture them according to their formula. Do remember reading a thread about someone who went to their shop and had his balm done in front of him.

Last edited:
I just ordered a vanilla sandalwood and lime/ginger/black pepper from this lady on Etsy - she has 3400+ reviews and 100% positive. Definitely cheaper than other options I've been researching. These soaps have tallow and lanolin as well. I will post a review once they arrive next week. She for sure is hand making these products via hot and cold process methods.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/sweetsnthings

Cheers!!

Top Bottom