What's new

Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Lime shave cream

I’m very new to wet shaving and have been wanting to try a nice shave cream to compare against the soaps I’ve been using. I found there was a Crabtree & Evelyn outlet about 15 min away so I took a quick Sunday drive out, sniffed all their samples of shave cream and decided on the West Indian Lime. I had read good reviews of the Nomad but it just didn’t do anything for me.

Now to the good stuff…..I soaked my brush (Classic Shaving Super Badger) and shave bowl in hot water while I took a shower. I drained the warmed bowl, added an almond size amount of cream, gave the brush two shakes and proceeded to make some lather. Boy was I in for a pleasant shock when lather practically exploded out of the brush with minimal effort. I added another drop or two of water to get the creamy consistency that I had only read about, but had eluded me, and before long I had a fully loaded brush along with a bowl of lather. I proceeded to massage this onto my face and whiskers and not only was the aroma pleasant and mild but it didn’t sting like some of the other soaps I had (classic brand wool fat – Arabian spice). The shave was smooth and there was little to no irritation afterward. The cream did its job by softening the whiskers, providing a cushion/slick surface between the skin and razor and smelling good. This will be my go to product in the future and I will definitely be getting another tube when this runs out, even though it will be awhile before that happens. I’m so happy with it that I may go and get the nomad just to mix things up a little. At $15 + tax for the 100g tube it was a very worthwhile investment.
$Indian Lime creme 001.jpg$Indian Lime creme 005.jpg$Indian Lime creme 010.jpg

Last edited:
I picked this up for $5 shipped a while back. Very good cream, performance is really astounding. I would describe the scent as similar to TOBS Mr. Taylor with a lemon/lime kick.

Sadly, I never seem to use it as it's way too moisturizing for my slightly oily skin. This cream is definitely for those with dry skin.

I’m very new to wet shaving and have been wanting to try a nice shave cream to compare against the soaps I’ve been using. I found there was a Crabtree & Evelyn outlet about 15 min away so I took a quick Sunday drive out, sniffed all their samples of shave cream and decided on the West Indian Lime. I had read good reviews of the Nomad but it just didn’t do anything for me.

Now to the good stuff…..I soaked my brush (Classic Shaving Super Badger) and shave bowl in hot water while I took a shower. I drained the warmed bowl, added an almond size amount of cream, gave the brush two shakes and proceeded to make some lather. Boy was I in for a pleasant shock when lather practically exploded out of the brush with minimal effort. I added another drop or two of water to get the creamy consistency that I had only read about, but had eluded me, and before long I had a fully loaded brush along with a bowl of lather. I proceeded to massage this onto my face and whiskers and not only was the aroma pleasant and mild but it didn’t sting like some of the other soaps I had (classic brand wool fat – Arabian spice). The shave was smooth and there was little to no irritation afterward. The cream did its job by softening the whiskers, providing a cushion/slick surface between the skin and razor and smelling good. This will be my go to product in the future and I will definitely be getting another tube when this runs out, even though it will be awhile before that happens. I’m so happy with it that I may go and get the nomad just to mix things up a little. At $15 + tax for the 100g tube it was a very worthwhile investment.
View attachment 308684View attachment 308685View attachment 308686

When you finish Crabtree and Evelyn lime, pick up some Castle Forbes Lime cream. Its a little more costly but miles and miles superior to the Crabtree Lime,IMO. You won't be disappointed,I promise.

Craig

C&E has some really good other scents that are very unique. I know that's a double-whatever, but trust me. You shave with Nomad, and you'll understand. Nothing else smells like it or Sienna, the other scent. Good performers!

I picked this up for $5 shipped a while back. Very good cream, performance is really astounding. I would describe the scent as similar to TOBS Mr. Taylor with a lemon/lime kick.

Sadly, I never seem to use it as it's way too moisturizing for my slightly oily skin. This cream is definitely for those with dry skin.
The smaller 50ml tube was around that price. I would have rather gotten that size and paid less for a product that I didn't know anything about, but didn't have the option since they only carried the one size. Now that I have the bigger tube I'm happy I got it.
I also have slightly oily skin and did notice that my skin was slightly oilier than normal, but attributed it to the after shave lotion. Next time I'll go with out the lotion and see what the results are....thanks for the heads up.
When you finish Crabtree and Evelyn lime, pick up some Castle Forbes Lime cream. Its a little more costly but miles and miles superior to the Crabtree Lime,IMO. You won't be disappointed,I promise.

Craig
Thanks for the tip craig....I'll definitely put it on my recommend to try list since I am partial the the clean citrus type scents.

Last edited:
I love the West Indian limes and Nomad creams. used in conjunction with their respective balms and I find them very moisturizing and pleasant. Great scents as well.

Big fan of West Indian Limes cologne as well.

My son gave me a tube of this for Christmas and I couldn't be happier with it. I love this stuff! One of the most luxurious shaves from a cream yet. Definately a permanent member of my rotation!

I have never mail ordered any shaving supply. It is so good to be able to buy shaving gear at a brick and mortar shop. I am so happy to have C&E nearby me and when you get a chance I suggest you try their other shaving scents like Sienna. Sienna and Nomad seems to be popular as well as Sandalwood too. Once I finish off my Old Spice Shulton Indian shaving cream I will eagerly crack open a new tub of Sienna shaving cream. Do enjoy your Indian Lime Craig.

I bought some of this for my brother at Christmas. No comments received on it yet so I will ask him.

+1 on CF Limes though. It's a really good cream, practically a soap.

Hmmmm.... My experience is a little different to those listed above. I actually looked up the reviews for this stuff because I was so disappointed by the cream. I have quite dry skin and this cream left my face feeling tight and uncomfortable. I also found that I needed quite a lot of cream on the brush to generate a decent lather, much more than say a Trumpers cream or T&H.

As I like to take a bit of time with my shave, the cream on the parts of my face which I leave until last really dries up and loses volume until it feels like a face pack or something. The scent is lovely though, really expensive smelling and refined, not sweet and sugary as some lime creams seem to be. It is definitely a quality product but it doesn't seem to suit my skin type/face temperature/water type or something. On the plus side, I've just discovered T&H sandalwood, which is a revelation, but that's a review for another day...

i have been a lover of C&E shave soaps for years, i checked out the lime soap , and honestly it was a very weak smell, unlike the strong smelling nomad, sienna, and sandalwood--------

I love the soap, so I'm not surprised to hear that the cream is quality stuff.

You have the CandE West Indian Lime soap? I have it as well and I'm having a hard time getting lather out of it.... mind you I'm a newb to the straight razor.

Hmmmm.... My experience is a little different to those listed above. I actually looked up the reviews for this stuff because I was so disappointed by the cream. I have quite dry skin and this cream left my face feeling tight and uncomfortable. I also found that I needed quite a lot of cream on the brush to generate a decent lather, much more than say a Trumpers cream or T&H.

As I like to take a bit of time with my shave, the cream on the parts of my face which I leave until last really dries up and loses volume until it feels like a face pack or something. The scent is lovely though, really expensive smelling and refined, not sweet and sugary as some lime creams seem to be. It is definitely a quality product but it doesn't seem to suit my skin type/face temperature/water type or something. On the plus side, I've just discovered T&H sandalwood, which is a revelation, but that's a review for another day...

Have you tried using distilled water...or just more water?

Now to the good stuff…..I soaked my brush (Classic Shaving Super Badger) and shave bowl in hot water while I took a shower. I drained the warmed bowl, added an almond size amount of cream, gave the brush two shakes and proceeded to make some lather. Boy was I in for a pleasant shock when lather practically exploded out of the brush with minimal effort. I added another drop or two of water to get the creamy consistency that I had only read about, but had eluded me, and before long I had a fully loaded brush along with a bowl of lather.

View attachment 308685

I have to say, I love the bowl! Details? :001_smile

Top Bottom