What's new

The Earth Moves, Fact or Fiction?

A Moving Earth, Fact or Fiction?

• Yes, the Earth moves

• No, the Sun, planets and stars go around the Earth. I have never seen the Earth move

• I don't know, but I do know Galileo jumped to conclusions and was only in it for the money

• I don't know, but I am sure I cannot believe scientific consensus because scientists are liberals

Results are only viewable after voting.
Of course it moves, it rotates.

But in terms of it displacing itself, I'm not sure. Do other bodies (including stars) move? If they do, I'd see no reason why the Earth couldn't move as well. Or burn out :bored:

I guess I don't understand the question. The earth spins on it's axis, it orbits the sun, the solar system very slowly orbits around the center of the galaxy, the Milky Way along with the Andromeda galaxy is part of a binary system contained within a "local group" of galaxies. The universe as a whole is expanding like raisins in a loaf of rising bread. There is no ultimate fixed point of reference.

From Wikipedia: In the general sense, the absolute velocity of any object through space is not a meaningful question according to Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity, which declares that there is no "preferred" inertial frame of reference in space with which to compare the Galaxy's motion. (Motion must always be specified with respect to another object.)

Is this the catch?

Well, I am standing here in my front yard. I am not moving. I don't see any motion other than a breeze through the trees. So no, the earth doesn't move. And don't give me any contradictory evidence that proves otherwise because my mind's made up. Made up, I tell you!

I guess I don't understand the question. The earth spins on it's axis, it orbits the sun,

It sounds like you are voting for a moving Earth: one that revolves on its axis and orbits the sun.

But, as far as I can tell with my own eyes and my own experience the ground is stationary and the sun goes around the earth (not the other way around)

the solar system very slowly orbits around the center of the galaxy, the Milky Way along with the Andromeda galaxy is part of a binary system contained within a "local group" of galaxies. The universe as a whole is expanding like raisins in a loaf of rising bread. There is no ultimate fixed point of reference.

From Wikipedia: In the general sense, the absolute velocity of any object through space is not a meaningful question according to Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity, which declares that there is no "preferred" inertial frame of reference in space with which to compare the Galaxy's motion. (Motion must always be specified with respect to another object.)

Is this the catch?

Like evolution and global warming, special relativity is a theory, not a fact. But, even if you accept special relativity, it does not really fit this case because the theory concerns linear, not circular motion. Additionally, circular motion involves acceleration not just velocity.

Hewlett Packard did an experiment, years ago, flying and atomic clock around the world. Prior to flight, it was synced with a stationary clock. After a trip one way around the world, there was a difference between the two. Flying the opposite direction, eliminated the difference. This, in part, proved Einstein's theory that time slowed as one approaches the velocity of light.

hum. How about satellites that are in a geosynchronous orbit? Heavenly bodies move relative to the apparently stationary satellite but the satellite can't be truly stationary because it relies on centrifugal force to keep it from falling to earth?

If you assume that the earth stands still and everything else moves you could work out all the relative movements and do all the predictions but the math would be much more difficult. It greatly simplifies the math to assume that the earth rotates and orbits the sun.

If you assume that the earth stands still and everything else moves you could work out all the relative movements and do all the predictions but the math would be much more difficult. It greatly simplifies the math to assume that the earth rotates and orbits the sun.

The idea is that the math doesn't work out at all unless you assume the earth moves.

Top Bottom