What's new

Tie of the Day

A lil cheapo TieBar Navy Grenefaux. Trying a new knot that I read about in this thread, a Shelby Pratt. I have to say, It looks quite smart:

Steve

Last edited:
Hey Everyone, today is the first time I've worn a tie to work since I got hired 6 years ago. How did I do?

It's mostly business casual where I work, but I've read you should dress for the job above you..which is also business casual, LOL...Does anybody think it's innapropriate to wear a tie when other are wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Do you think people will think I'm prententious?

Steve

I do it all the time. I'm not concerned with what others are wearing but rather looking and doing my best!!!

I wear a tie every day, but this is my first post here. This is a tie my mom made in a silk-screening class she took years ago. She created the art work and did the silk screen herself. I wish she would make some more!

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428686947.371447.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Hey Everyone, today is the first time I've worn a tie to work since I got hired 6 years ago. How did I do?

It's mostly business casual where I work, but I've read you should dress for the job above you..which is also business casual, LOL...Does anybody think it's innapropriate to wear a tie when other are wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Do you think people will think I'm prententious?

Steve

Looks good, Steve.

In answer to your second question, I'd say that the farther away you get from "the group mean" of dress style, the more you risk sending the message of not wanting to be part of the group. A lot of that can be countered and diffused by your own personal demeanour, body language and behaviour ... how well you respond to ribbing about your different dress choices. (On a subconscious, groupthink level, the joking about you having another interview today is not a joke about you having an interview, but an attempt to see if you are "still the same old you and part of the group" or if you see yourself as now somehow different from the group. Your response is key.)

... golly, that got awfully deep awfully fast. :blink: Okay ... but things are more more complicated than the feel-good "wear what you want and if others don't like it it's their problem" stuff we hear all the time.

4 in hand knot, kinda wimpy, but figured I'd give it a try:

Steve

Well-tied knot, but you are let down by the thinness of your tie. It's more suited to the Windsor.

(Fun fact ... back decades and decades ago, the then-world-influencing-fashion-plate-and-style-icon Duke of Windsor liked thick tie knots. He had his ties made thicker for that purpose, and tied them 4-in-hand. Others, perhaps not knowing that he padded his ties, and wanting to end up with the same full knot, tied a different knot which became known as the "Windsor" in his honour.)

Nice look.

What's the spots on the first/top blue stripe of the tie?

proxy.php

First time posting on this thread.
JPress Navy grenadine tie.

Other details:
Gloverall duffel coat
No brand cashmere scarf
Banana Republic vest
LE OCBD
Banana Republic tweed pants
Stafford Deacon

Top Bottom