What's new

Best treatment for fresh cuts

I hacked it up pretty good this morning and have a couple fresh cuts that I would like to heal up nicely. I've heard aloe vera is great for healing and used to use it on burns in my culinary days. Is it good for cuts as well? What's your treatment for cuts? I've got some Thaters' witch hazel with aloe in it but am welcome to suggestions.

an ice cube will stop bleeding also ... depending.

If things get crazy dermoplast is a good option also, especially if a larger area.

A drop of Monsel's solution on a Q-Tip will stop the flow - instantly. Makes styptic pencils look like chalk. You only need it for bleeders but it is the bee's knees if you get one. I got one this morning - shaved a wrinkle on my neck - applied styptic - started to put on my shirt and had a big splotch of blood on my neck. Touched it with the Monsel's and it stopped immediately. Monsel's is somewhat expensive but 1 or 2 ounces will last years... and years.

Neosporin or the triple antiseptics are wonderful for healing. I like the versions that are in a Vaseline type carrier (some are in a cream carrier). Keep it applied - don't let it scab over hard.

A drop of Monsel's solution on a Q-Tip will stop the flow - instantly. Makes styptic pencils look like chalk. You only need it for bleeders but it is the bee's knees if you get one. I got one this morning - shaved a wrinkle on my neck - applied styptic - started to put on my shirt and had a big splotch of blood on my neck. Touched it with the Monsel's and it stopped immediately. Monsel's is somewhat expensive but 1 or 2 ounces will last years... and years.

Neosporin or the triple antiseptics are wonderful for healing. I like the versions that are in a Vaseline type carrier (some are in a cream carrier). Keep it applied - don't let it scab over hard.

I've never heard of Monsel's but looked it up online and it does seem expensive, but then so are laundry bills when you bleed on the collar (I do the same thing). Sounds like you swear by it, so I'll definitely get some. My styptic pencil and alum bar didn't do the trick for these wounds.

My styptic pencil and alum bar didn't do the trick for these wounds.

The Monsel's is used by doctors to stop flow in certain procedures. It is not prescription. It is not needed for most shaving cuts but it really does work very well for any cut and is especially useful for a bleeder. It is ferric based so it has a color - if you just put a drop on a Q-Tip and press it on the cut, it will not stain (a possible issue raised by those who haven't tried it). It is freakin' magic if you ask me. You still need to treat the cut with an antiseptic moistening salve to keep it from scabbing - Neosporin is your friend.

I have not heard of it here on B&B - I asked and no one knew about it except Doc226 who uses it in his work. A friend who is a long time straight user recommended it to me. You won't use it all that often but you will pat yourself on the back when you do. I've only used it twice. Once on an arm cut and once this morning. It has paid for itself.

Last edited:
Thayers Witch Hazel is my go-to treatment for cuts, although I use it more for cuts on my hands. Clean the wound with water, alcohol, or whatever you have handy. Make sure the bleeding has stopped, then keep the scar covered with a bandaid or tissue soaked in Witch Hazel. It will heal up much, much faster than anything else I've tried.

I usually just relather and leave it for a minute, then rinse and use alum block. If weeper shows red again I use a tube of "My nik is sealed" and it stops.

Alum & if necessary styptic pencil to stop the bleeding.

My usual moisturiser/conditioner for healing (Trumpers Skin Food or Dermalogica for Men moisturiser).

I use a styptic to get get the blood stopped, then I wait a bit (and by a bit I mean a half hour or so) then I wash off the styptic and daub on a bit of triple antibiotic. I find the no name brands work as well as Neosporin....
I have a pretty bad gash from last Friday, that is healing very nice.
Bil

Top Bottom