What's new

Shaving soap holders

Does this only come with one lid?? Meaning can you use them as separate containers or does the top piece (with the lid) act as the "lid" for the bottom piece??

Got one of these for a puck of MWF at Homegoods for $6....it's made out of some kind of stone - marble maybe?

View attachment 312593View attachment 312594

I really like the look of these. A lot of great ideas here. I personally, have been as cheap as you can be when it comes to soap storage containers. I use things like old axe hair gel containers, or the small butter containers fit perfect. I mostly store my soaps in the closet, so they're not on display. When I used only one soap, I just kept it in my DJ soap mug and mixed it right in the mug. If I were going to leave the soaps out more, I would definitely look into some of these containers, but as long as they're in the closet, any container they fit in that I have works for me.

I don't cover my soaps and use stoneware bowls from a local pottery. It's actually their rejects (slight paint or chip imperfections) each cost £2:
Klar Kabinett in a stoneware bowl
$P1000220.jpg
My beloved Martin de Candre in a stoneware bowl:
$P1000225.jpg

I have an old, cracked and faded wooden bowl from about ten years ago. I keep my hard soap (Trumper's rose) jammed therein. I lather right in the shallow bowl. After a shave, I rinse my brush and the bowl. Keep it out, uncovered, because it looks good, smells good, and because I'm not a huge fan of covering up damp things.

Awaiting new creams and soaps, plus a mug and bowl, so things will loosen up, but I'll keep the wooden bowl-hard soap combo.

I tend to use (recycle) the left over tubs and such from my fiance's lotions/hairproducts/etc.

Last edited:
I recycle cream cheese and butter tubs for full pucks. They work great. For samples, I use 4 oz. plastic jars, w/ lids, from specialtybottle.com. Those work great, too.

$m8nGaD4mol1RGxv9b6BnAsA.jpg
I wish Rubbermaid still made the "servin savers" like these 3 cup versions. When I was in the Navy, these were what I kept my soap in, because squids have to carry their douche kit in and out of the head every time.

I was getting tired of slopping soap over the edge of the recycled Proraso bowl I've been using, and was looking at a deeper jar / bowl set-up. At Value Village thrift shop a couple days ago, while my wife was buying more clothes (she does her clothes thing...I do my truck and shaving thing), I came across across two plastic Thermos soup containers in a truly hideous light blue and disturbingly bright pink. Both hold two cups of liquid, and as it turns out, one puck of soap (with a little squeezing). Two bucks each.
When I met up with my wife in another department, she gave me the "Look". I explained what I had planned for the Thermos containers, she still had the "Look" on her face. Then I showed her the price stickers and she said, "Yeah, sure". I'm certain part of my wife's concern was that there were two of these things...meaning I'd buy more crap to fill the second one.
Used one of the Thermos "shaving mugs" this morning and it worked great...no slopping of soap and a cleaner sink counter.

The Ikea tins have convex lids and I'm not crazy about the way they stack. <snip> ... these are best for storing your soap and loading the brush, not building lather.

Hi Jazzguy;
I have to respectfully disagree with you about the Grundtal tins stackability:

$To Post.jpg

This is a stack of six Grundtals, with soap, stacked and tilted -- still stable.

I'm not sure if the design of the tins has changed between 2013 (when you posted) and now, but that might be an explanation.

I do agree that tins like this are just for loading the brush.

I like the tins from Stirling. 1.75 a piece I believe. Fits his soap samples and most smaller pucks from other soap makers great and I have plenty of room to load. He has a bigger one for a little more for bigger pucks or building lather. They stack nicely. I have been impressed with them. I like to get samples......or I would never finish a puck!

The Ikea Grundtal tins are nice but my favorite are the new PETF jars from Maggards. Well built, wide and not deep which I like. I don't want to have go searching for a soap in deep containers!
proxy.php

Ad Astra

The Instigator
This is harder than it seems.

I ordered one soap-maker's tins, and found they do rust ... sorry; soap gets wet.

The neat Maggard's one is out of stock. The (stainless) Ikea ones charge a lot for shipping. So does the plastic manufacturer.

Found these same, though, on Amazon- and ships free with Prime.

Household Essentials 12-PC. 6.0 Oz. Lock Up Set

Can use in garage if they don't stack as desired, fits soaps perfect and be shatter-proof (avoiding the good glass storage in tiled bath).

AA

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer wood and ceramics. Wood is easy to come across from the original manufacturer, for ceramics I have turned to Etsy for some vintage gems.

$D2263498.jpg$D5165788.jpg

Top Bottom