What's new

Shaving soap holders

Hell everyone
I"ve been wet shaving for a while but used cartridge razors and cans of shave foam (don't judge!) :) I finally decided to explore other options and discovered the amazing shave creams and soaps out there. I"ve accumulated a few of the soaps (as well as creams in tubs/tubes) but mostly in refill packages. I can't justify paying for the custom made wood/other material soap holders that these soaps come in. I'm partial to glass or metal holders (they seem more hygienic in a constantly moist environment like the bathroom!) I also wonder if the soaps react with the wood (like wine in their oak barrels!) and this affects the fragrance or some other feature of the soaps.
I mostly face lather since I like the exfoliating effect it seems to create and seems to prepare the hair a little better (just my own observation) though I imagine a warm bowl lather would be nice as well (haven't tried that yet)

Any thoughts on these as storage/usage containers for the soaps?

http://anchorhocking.oneida.com/ceramic-soup-mug-w-lid.html

This seems to have the right width and a decent height to contain any lather that's generated. It's on sale and has a lid as well!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80102919/

The Ikea product seems to be well liked. My only concern is that it is pretty shallow and probably best just for loading the brush with the soap. Lather madness might ensue though!

Any inexpensive alternatives would be appreciated as well :)
Thanks!

I use the Ikea metal grundahl containers and am very happy. For VDH soaps I melt them down and pour them in. You're right--great for loading the brush. I use a scuttle to develop my lather. Mikes Natural you can press into the container without a problem.

hope this helps.

Mike

If you are looking for a lathering bowl you can see what I use from this old post: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/295083?p=4172020#post4172020

If you want an inexpensive "traditional" wooden soap bowl google for "kingsley shave bowl"

These are for storage of soaps not building lather in.

proxy.php

The Ikea tins have convex lids and I'm not crazy about the way they stack. I recently got one of those Kingsley bowls that Turtle recommends and they are nice. I think I paid about $6.50 for it. All of these are best for storing your soap and loading the brush, not building lather.

When I travel I put a puck in an aluminum til with the screw on lid. These work great if you want to take something other than a shave stick with you.

proxy.php

You don't need to stick with bowls/containers that are made for shaving soaps.

I use Portmeirion Botanic Garden pattern ramekins for some of my pucks. They look very nice on the counter

proxy.php

Personally, I am a fan of these: http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Frosted-Low-Profile-Jar-with-White-Domed-Lid_p_1680.html They stack easily, and if you cut the label off your soap you can tape it to the lid. A few minutes' work with a sharp knife, and the refill pucks fit easily inside.

I'm like you, I couldn't get my head around paying $45 for a soap and wooden bowl, when the refill puck was already $20. A minute of work and a $3 plastic bowl, and I'm sitting pretty with a top-tier soap. My refill puck of L'Occitane (sp?) went into a small Rubbermaid container, which is also a nice option. Any Target will carry it.

I mostly use hard soaps. I have them in wooden bowls, Pyrex 1-cup bowl, Old Spice mug and grated into a tin. Wooden bowls are nice, but I won't buy any more. The tin is my least favorite. I re-grated that soap into an Old Spice mug, but that mug is too small for some of my brushes. The Pyrex 1-cup is best for stacking, but I'll probably have to grate that soap to stop the puck from spinning when I'm loading. My current favorite is the Ogallala mug, where I can soak the brush and soap in the same mug. The next one I want to try is this one, obviously not an inexpensive alternative.

I have a Col. conk's onyx bowl in the tan stone. I gate 1 Tabac puck in it and pack it down. My spare Tabac puck is in the closet unopened. I guess I am not fitting the rotation habit except for straights. What can I say, I like Tabac and so does my wife.

I have a Col. conk's onyx bowl in the tan stone. I gate 1 Tabac puck in it and pack it down. My spare Tabac puck is in the closet unopened. I guess I am not fitting the rotation habit except for straights. What can I say, I like Tabac and so does my wife.

Nothing wrong with that, Shutterbug. A straight rotation habit would be costly enough anyway (some straights go for close to $200 plus having to have them honed and sharpened). I am a DE user myself but would think Tabac's lather can be made thick and creamy enough for a straight user.

I picked up a set of bowls that are similar to the anchorhocking glass bowls but have flat plastic lids and can be stacked. I picked them up at Target.

Hell everyone
I"ve been wet shaving for a while but used cartridge razors and cans of shave foam (don't judge!) :) I finally decided to explore other options and discovered the amazing shave creams and soaps out there. I"ve accumulated a few of the soaps (as well as creams in tubs/tubes) but mostly in refill packages. I can't justify paying for the custom made wood/other material soap holders that these soaps come in. I'm partial to glass or metal holders (they seem more hygienic in a constantly moist environment like the bathroom!) I also wonder if the soaps react with the wood (like wine in their oak barrels!) and this affects the fragrance or some other feature of the soaps.
I mostly face lather since I like the exfoliating effect it seems to create and seems to prepare the hair a little better (just my own observation) though I imagine a warm bowl lather would be nice as well (haven't tried that yet)

Any thoughts on these as storage/usage containers for the soaps?

http://anchorhocking.oneida.com/ceramic-soup-mug-w-lid.html

This seems to have the right width and a decent height to contain any lather that's generated. It's on sale and has a lid as well!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80102919/

The Ikea product seems to be well liked. My only concern is that it is pretty shallow and probably best just for loading the brush with the soap. Lather madness might ensue though!

Any inexpensive alternatives would be appreciated as well :)
Thanks!

I bought a soap in a metal holder. It rusted inside (stayed pristine on the outside) and I wound up having to throw the soap away.

I don't cover the soap I'm currently using. I keep it in this rubber Marvy mug and leave it in the bathroom. It is unbreakable, and it is roomy for mixing up the lather. I have another Marvy mug to hold hot water so I can re-mix or keep it warm if needed.

These Glad Twist Lock containers were about $3 for a 3 pack at my local grocery. I use them for Cella, Arko, and VDH. Screw on top and stack-able.

The Medium size
are good for pucks.

Ziploc makes similar ones with snap-on lids, which I use. They leave enough space to keep the extra water/lather from running all over, and stack nicely.

The ones Fatboy mentions would probably be more secure for travel and making sure it doesn't get all over.

Top Bottom