What's new

Pistol Permit Application Waiting Period

you know the saying.. I love NY... *mumble grumble*

I used to put a circle with a line through it over the I love NY saying on the toll tickets from the throughway every time I got one.

proxy.php

Just curious...what does one do IF one moves to such an odious place as NY and already owns a pistol or 2, or 3, or.....???
Please don't tell me you're supposed to turn it over to some agency.........................

Just curious...what does one do IF one moves to such an odious place as NY and already owns a pistol or 2, or 3, or.....???
Please don't tell me you're supposed to turn it over to some agency.........................

The general process is you are supposed to have a gunshop that is licensed to sell pistols, and therefore have a dealers permit to hold onto them, hold them for you till you get your permit back after going through the process of obtaining it.

The general process is you are supposed to have a gunshop that is licensed to sell pistols, and therefore have a dealers permit to hold onto them, hold them for you till you get your permit back after going through the process of obtaining it.

Holy Six Shooter Batman!!!! That is just TOTALLY wrong. Well, at least you have Zweigle's hot dogs up there..........

Holy Six Shooter Batman!!!! That is just TOTALLY wrong. Well, at least you have Zweigle's hot dogs up there..........

It used to be worse... up till about 10 or so years ago, in order to apply for a permit, you had to *own* the pistol already. So the process was go to a store, pick out a pistol, pay for it, they'd give you the proper paperwork and hold onto the pistol (for a fee, of course), then you could start the process of getting the permit. Oh yeah, and the permit application? You had to *buy* it from the county, it was like $10 or $20. Basically, you were out the cost of the pistol, around $100 for the holding fee from the dealer, and $20 for the application, and didn't have any guarantee they would even approve the permit after you went through the process, which still took a year and a half to 2 years.

None of this stuff is as hard as it's being made out to be. The permit process is just a little lengthy at best and because of the surge in gun sales and permit applications in the last four years that has bogged down the already understaffed county offices. Unfortunately you have to sift through tons of misinformation out there from people that have not been through the process and I've read a few things in this thread that fall into "misinformation".

For the record, I've never met anyone that's been turned down unless they had a criminal record.

Oh... and Hoffman's hot dogs are much better.....

Last edited:
Probably a backlog due to the rush because of the NYS SAFE Act. In NYC (residence premises only for just about everyone) the process took about one year, from what I understand NYPD needs to give you a determination within one year of application (when I did it). $360 or so, at least 4 trips to 1 Police Plaza (no parking), each additional handgun purchase requires a 90-day wait then a written request, another 3, 6, or + week wait, at trip to 1 Police Plaza (2-hour window) to pick up your authorization to purchase valid for 30-days, make purchase, return trip to 1 Police Plaza within 72-hours (2-hour window at 1PP) to have the handgun inspected and added to your license, paperwork, 3-year renewals, etc.

Only NYC NYPD licenses are valid within the 5-Boroughs of NYC (NYPD has special carry licenses for LEO and other special non-NYC) but recent changes to NYPD policy restrict NYPD premises permits to the address on the license or ranges authorized by NYPD/ranges within NYC and prohibit taking your handguns outside NYC except for hunting during season within New York State. A real bummer for me since I only got my license to participate in handgun competitions (Bullseye, Steel Challenge, USPSA, etc.). When I received my license NYPD no longer offered "target licenses" but the residence premises was valid to shoot at any "bonafide range" or official competition. I really hope that policy changes to permit competitions in the future.

However long or whatever the cost, get the license. It will only get harder. Good luck and get out to a range and enjoy when you get it.

Tom

in '99, it was $125 per weapon (once all the fees were paid, not including an FFL holding it) and six months to get the license.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gentlemen, let me draw your attention to this line from the forum guidelines.

The Shooting Sports and Firearms Forum is NOT a place to discuss the Second Amendment.

It mystifies me that this is such a difficult idea to grasp. There are a million and one things to talk about related to firearms and their use without bringing up the 2nd Amendment yet again. I won't comment on the wisdom of starting a thread that invites members to cross that line, but you don't have to rise to the bait.

wow , sounds like im lucky here in OH ... we can open carry without a permit , go to the gunshop and buy a pistol if 21 and pass the back round check ect .. i think ive had my CC permit for almost 2 years .. i took the 12 or 14 hour course we must take , then turned my paperwork in on a tues. and had my permit the next thurs ... i then drove to P.A. gave finger prints and showed my Ohio permit and was granted there CC permit in under 2 weeks which gave me 4 more states that i can carry in ..

Different states are, well... Different.
For all of the "bad press" that California gets, our gun laws are for the most part focused on "assault weapons", and indeed, some of those can catch the unwary handgun owner that moves into the state, such as a threaded barrel on a handgun makes it an AW, and of course you can not import magazines larger than 10 rounds, as a visitor or new resident.

But for ownership, we have a "not unsafe" handgun roster (and guns not on the list are not illegal to own, import, or even to buy from a private party), but if you can pass a simple 50-question test to get your Handgun Safety Certificate ($25, issued instantly by the gun shop), you can buy anything in stock, 10 day waiting period for both handguns and long guns, and no more than 1 handgun every 30 days.

There are exemptions for all four restrictions... LEO are exempt from all 4, an 03FFL with COE is exempt from the 30 day restriction (and the 10 day wait on C&R), CCW holders are exempt from the HSC.

I live in Chautauqua County NY and it takes about six to nine months to get your CC permit here. It took me 3 months 14 years ago.

Speak of irony........
A shortage of 7 round magazines is starting to develop around these parts for those handguns which can use them (i.e 1911 Colt platform). I wonder if the manufacturers who use primarily high capacity magazines in their product (Glock readily comes to mind) will begin increased production of 7 or less magazines? I still own some of the 90's ban 10 round magazines from my Beretta. Never could see the logic...................

I still own some of the 90's ban 10 round magazines from my Beretta. Never could see the logic...................

I agree completely. I would say that it's just silly, but there is a darker back side to it.
If you ban the magazines, you have effectively banned the entire weapon (or class of weapons), and with a relatively short period to turn in the pre-ban mag (for new residents, I don't know how it applies to existing residents, are they buying them back?)

I don't think I own any 7-round magazines... I haven't really counted the capacity of my .32ACP 1903, but I'm pretty sure even it is 8.

Wow.

Just...wow.

Is Wid right about that just being a permit to own one? A friend of mine just got his carry permit and from the time he submitted his paperwork until he received his permit it was about 2-3 months. I've had my permit for a few years and if I remember correctly it took me about the same amount of time to get mine.

Here you can carry a handgun in your vehicle without any type of permit as long as you are legally able to own one, i.e., not a convicted felon, judged legally mentally incompetent, drug addict, etc.

Wow.

Just...wow.

I concur...Nevada allows you to purchase a handgun if you aren't a convicted felon and you pass a background check at the gun store. Concealed Carry Permits require you to pass a gun safety class of 8 hours to include a hands-on qualification. With that, it's around $100 with fingerprinting and you get your permit within a 2 weeks.

I feel for the original poster! Good luck and time will fly and you will have your weapon with you in no time.

For the record, I edited my original post once you advised me of that rule. My intention was not to stir up a 2nd amendment conversation, it was to vent/share my frustration of having to wait 14 months to get my foot in the door to even fi.e an application. I am trying to protect myself and my family, and the ineffectiveness of my county officials is preventing me from doing so.

Gentlemen, let me draw your attention to this line from the forum guidelines.

It mystifies me that this is such a difficult idea to grasp. There are a million and one things to talk about related to firearms and their use without bringing up the 2nd Amendment yet again. I won't comment on the wisdom of starting a thread that invites members to cross that line, but you don't have to rise to the bait.

Top Bottom