What's new

Pistol Permit Application Waiting Period

After completing all pre-conditions for obtaining a pistol permit, I contacted the pistol permit officer of my county to schedule an appointment for submitting my pistol permit application. They told me that the next availablity was in April 2014. I thought they had misspoken, but the next appointment is 14 months away!!! On top of that, the appointment is only for submitting my application. The county still has 6 months from that point with which to process it. That means that I must go 20 months before I can lawfully possess a pistol.

Any thoughts/suggestions on what I can do?

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Are you registered to vote?

Any answer you get will be politically charged since the reason for your long wait is politically charged as well. Other than moving out of state to one with less backlog, good luck. As a recently new owner of a Glock 22 having to wait 14 months would be heck!

Just be patient and watch a lot of youtube for vicarious thrills :).

In FL, you fill out the paperwork and get your prints taken and within 30 days you have your card.

You're talking a carry permit, right? The OP is talking just getting a permit to legally own a pistol.

Here in IL. we have to have a FOID card to legally own a firearm. The wait can be 30 days up to whenever the state police gets around to it. Once we have our FOID we go fill out paper work, pay for the gun and wait. Handguns are 3 days and long guns are 1 day.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Wow.

Just...wow.

Is Wid right about that just being a permit to own one? A friend of mine just got his carry permit and from the time he submitted his paperwork until he received his permit it was about 2-3 months. I've had my permit for a few years and if I remember correctly it took me about the same amount of time to get mine.

Here you can carry a handgun in your vehicle without any type of permit as long as you are legally able to own one, i.e., not a convicted felon, judged legally mentally incompetent, drug addict, etc.

Wow.

Just...wow.

The way I took it it is a permit for ownership. I'd move. Or buy out of state or something. NY has made a lot of changes to their purchasing process. Sounds like it's cumbersome. Sounds like a lot of sales may be lost as well. I don't know if I would go through all that hoop jumping.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
The way I took it it is a permit for ownership.

I'll bet there is a pretty hefty fee for the permit to just own one, and then I bet it has to be renewed after a certain period of time. The State wants your money.

Here if you see one at a shop that you want you just fill out the federal paperwork and give them your I.D., wait about 5-10 minutes for the instant background check, pay for it and you're out the door.

I have no desire to move to a State that puts that kind of restrictions on people.

Yes, I am talking about a permit just to own one. I am not even talking about obtaining a permit for carry-conceal, which is a hail mary in this state. While I have the potential to be approved for such a permit based on my employment, I'd be happy to just get permission to have one for home protection.

Unfortunately, moving is not the option I would like to employ. While I am upset about the process, I love where I live. I have lived/traveled around the world, and Syracuse is my home. It is the easy choice, but not the one that is right for me.

I did do legal research and found that I think the way my county does the application process may be in violation of the law. The law says that the application must be accepted upon presentment. My county is scheduling meetings for purposes of presentment, and that is the one that was scheduled in April 2014. I spoke with the county legislator who is the chair of the public safety committee of the county. When I pointed this out to him, he agreed that my assessment. Essentially, I should be able to walk up to an office and drop my application, and they must take it, provided it conforms to the application requirements. The legislator is holding a meeting Monday to address the issue. I will keep everyone posted on the progress.

I hate it for ya. In NC for a hand gun you go to the sheriffs office pay 5 bucks for a permit to buy wait about 4 days and it's in your mailbox, they do a simple background check. I have my carry permit, I took the class and took the certificate to the sheriffs office along with 110 bucks I think and exactly 30 days later I had my conceal carry card and I can walk into a gun shop and buy a handgun on the spot with it.

Man - and I thought it was unreasonable to wait 30 days for a background check here in Maryland. Of course we have legislation coming that will impose more red tape for handgun ownership.

Wow and here I am crawling the walls waiting for my 7 day waiting period to be over for a new pick-up. That's terrible my friend, best of luck.

Man, that stinks. Here in TN you pay $10 for a background check in the gun store and walk out with your weapon. Even getting a carry permit now only takes a month or so once you've completed the training class and paid your fees.
Are the requirements the same for a long gun? If not, I'd pick up a good tactical shotgun for home defense until you get your handgun.

I'll bet there is a pretty hefty fee for the permit to just own one, and then I bet it has to be renewed after a certain period of time. The State wants your money.

Here if you see one at a shop that you want you just fill out the federal paperwork and give them your I.D., wait about 5-10 minutes for the instant background check, pay for it and you're out the door.

I have no desire to move to a State that puts that kind of restrictions on people.
Or show your concealed license, fill out the paperwork, pay and go.

The Onondaga Sheriff's office has been backed up like that for a while now. Mrs. Big John's CCW took the better part of a year to get and that was a couple years ago.

The only way you might be able to get your permit a little earlier is if you tell the people at the county that you would be like to be put on their call list for anyone that cancels their appointment. Other than that.... You're not getting in any earlier unless you have a special need because of your employment.

Oh... and expect a "restricted" sportsman carry permit, but you probably already know that.

I'm so glad I did mine many, many years ago...

I'm glad y'all like living there, but I didn't. I think you have some of the more asinine weapons laws, and the worst state cops in the union. but at least you won't have the worst gun laws if CA wins the race of one-upsmanship. I wouldn't live in IL either.

I liked GA's carry law when I was there. a military ID and copy of my mil pistol qual. in WA, ID, mil ID, orders assigning me there, and walked out the door with my carry permit. if I wanted to buy a pistol in WA, put down the money and my carry permit and out the door with it, otherwise, 5-10 day wait, with open carry authorized.

From what I recall, looking into it a couple years back, NY only has 2 permits for pistols for the general public. One is a premise permit, so you can have the pistol at your place of residence. You are not allowed to leave your place of residence with it, even for the purpose of taking it to an authorized range for practice/target shooting. At one point, it wasn't even legal to take the pistol to a shop to have it serviced or to sell it with that level of a permit, tho they may have fixed that issue with that permit type by now.

The other permit is a carry permit which allows you to carry the pistol to ranges, and while hunting, or any of the few places carrying a pistol isn't forbidden to all except law enforcement. It is a concealed carry permit, since they do not want you to carry it open view at all, anyways. There are still other limitations on that permit, like it's only good for the 5 counties surrounding yours, or something, and none of them are good in New York City, unless you managed to get one that is NYC authorized (good luck on that one, btw... not happening unless you have a job that is listed as allowing it).

I'm pretty sure the pistol laws in NY are the strictest ones in the country as far as just being able to have a pistol at your house and only using it at the range or your backyard, assuming you live in an area where shooting in your backyard isn't illegal as well. But hey, you know the saying.. I love NY... *mumble grumble*

If you have any kind of law enforcement background H.R. 218 has you covered. Essentially this gives active and most retired police officers authority to carry a concealed firearm ANYWHERE (with certain restrictions as outlined in Federal law) in the U.S. No cost and only requires a routine requalification shoot (times and course of fire vary with agency and State criteria).

Last edited:
Top Bottom