What's new

Shavemac Silver Tip oder D01?

Hi guys

I own five brushes so for, a Semogue boar and four best badgers, one of them a small Kent and one a Semogue SOC.

I think I'm set for face lathering at the moment and am looking for a great brush for bowl lathering, one that takes up soap quickly and lets the lather explode. I'd also like to buy my first Silver Tip brush and am quite set on 24 or 25mm knot size.

I read here that Shavemac offers good price/performance ratio. Now I'm trying to decide between a Silver Tip (presumably the 167) and a Silver Tip D01. I'm not looking for enormous backbone: firstly I already have the SOC for backbone quality, secondly because I mostly bowl lather. But I don't want it to be too floppy either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :001_smile

Florian

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
The silvertip is very soft, I would go with the D01 Threeband, which is soft and has still a good backbone.

I have all three (D01, D01 2 band and regular Silverip)....and my vote would go for e regular Silvertip.

its big, soft and not too floppy. Mine is a big knot thought, probably 28mm at opening.

the D01 3 band is one of my favorite knots but I find it is more suited for face lathering as it does have some backbone but remains soft.

can't go wrong with either

Moin Florian,

I think for your specification (bowl lathering, not too much backbone wanted/necessary) I'd choose the normal silvertip. Bulb shaped, that's a great brush for bowl lathering and still has a nice backbone, not too much but it's not floppy at all.

Have a look on shavemac's finest badger, too. This is almost on par with the silvertip, has no scritch, is very soft too, but significantly cheaper. Only the white colour is not very distinctive compared with silvertip. For me it has much more bang for the buck and in my opinion is shavemac's sweet spot.

But you can't go wrong with the other choices, too. But keep in mind, that the D01 brushes are massive beasts, blooming a lot. 25mm would be much too big for my liking.

Viel Spaß bei der Auswahl!
Martin

D01 3 Bander. Mine is super soft, has some backbone and zero scritch. It's softer than my regular Shavemac silvertip by a noticeable margin.

don't forget SavileRow if you are interested in Regular Sivertip. My SR 3824 is a fantastic brush and most who try them, can't believe how nice they are...very under apprecaited with all the big names out there, but it's no slouch.

D01 rather than Silvertip would be my choice. 2-Band if you like your brush to have loads of backbone and be a little scritchy, otherwise 3-Band.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your advice and opinions! It seems the decision is a close one. I went with the 3-band silver tip in the end. I hope it will be a step up and this way I can alway order the D01 later.

Now I'm looking forward to trying it. Thanks again for your help!

Florian

Top Bottom