What's new

What is the middle ground?

I would do anything for a pelikan M200 but money is so tight it hurts at the moment. And either I buy a pen or feed my family. How long can you go without food?

A healthy adult male can survive about 4 weeks without food. I wouldn't recommend it, though.

-Andy

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I would do anything for a pelikan M200 but money is so tight it hurts at the moment. And either I buy a pen or feed my family. How long can you go without food?

As much as we like to joke about enabling ADs here, really it's about enjoying the process at whatever pricepoint you can afford, rather than enjoying the repeated buying of pens & inks.

More than anything else, B&B is about being a gentleman, and a gentleman makes sure his family is looked after first. You are making the right decision.

:001_cool:

When I was a grad student, I had a lot of fun with restored Esterbrooks and the various nibs that are available. I have a list as long as my arm of the sub-$35 fountain pens I've owned and enjoyed. I've typically had to sell pens in order to try others, and I never shied away from used modern pens. I think a lot of what you're paying for in a more expensive pen is the materials and the how/where/who of it's creation (think Edison and Franklin-Christoph). You're also paying for customer service. I have several inexpensive pens that write just as nicely as some really pricey pens, though.

Anyway, have fun with it all!

-Andy

When I was a grad student, I had a lot of fun with restored Esterbrooks and the various nibs that are available. I have a list as long as my arm of the sub-$35 fountain pens I've owned and enjoyed. I've typically had to sell pens in order to try others, and I never shied away from used modern pens. I think a lot of what you're paying for in a more expensive pen is the materials and the how/where/who of it's creation (think Edison and Franklin-Christoph). You're also paying for customer service. I have several inexpensive pens that write just as nicely as some really pricey pens, though.

Anyway, have fun with it all!

-Andy

+1

One of my first "vintage" fountain pens was an Esterbrook I snagged off eBay for twenty sum-odd bucks. All it really needed was a new sack and a good flushing. The nib was fine, but I bought a 2314-F nib - Relief Fine Oblique, in Esterbrook terms - to replace the stock one. It's a true pleasure to use this pen now; one of my best writers. Esterbrooks are outstanding for starter vintage pens. They're normally still in use-able condition with a tiny bit of TLC, and the exchangeable nib practically makes it a new pen every time.

Other than that, for under $100, you can buy a Parker 51 in VERY nice condition. Actually, you could even buy two NOS Parker 21 Supers. The 21s are often overlooked, unfortunately. Only a little smaller than the 51, you get practically the same performance. You also don't have to worry about sniping 51s in questionable condition if you choose to go that route. For $40-50, you can't go wrong with a NOS Parker 21.

As much as we like to joke about enabling ADs here, really it's about enjoying the process at whatever pricepoint you can afford, rather than enjoying the repeated buying of pens & inks.

More than anything else, B&B is about being a gentleman, and a gentleman makes sure his family is looked after first. You are making the right decision.

:001_cool:

Maybe his family has to eat, but money could be saved if he abstains? Win/win?

+1

One of my first "vintage" fountain pens was an Esterbrook I snagged off eBay for twenty sum-odd bucks. All it really needed was a new sack and a good flushing.

Really, that's all any of us need.

Like our good friend Liberty likes to say... "embrace the flush."

Last edited:
I would go for a different nib. Try one that has a bit of flex. Try one that is broader or thinner than your initial pens which are probably medium nibs. Buy from someone who will ensure that your pen is a good writer. Some pens, even new ones do not write well out of the box. Lots of different reasons why especially nib tines not well aligned. Personally, I would go with a vintage, restored pen. More bang for the buck and much different nib variety available especially in flexible nibs than you will find in modern pens. Different look also. Modern pen plastic resins are....plastic-looking and too bright in my opinion. Older pen colors are often mellower and "vintage-like" feel.
Good luck. Your choices are infinite.
Rob

Top Bottom