What's new

What razor gives you the closest shave?

I'm undecided between the R41 and a Merkur 37C with a feather blade it's that close. Merkur's a much more comfortable shave though.

IMO, it isn't the razor choice that determines how close my shave is. The razor holds the blade so blade choice seems to be more important. The key factor (for me) is proper prep and good multi-pass shaving. That said, an adjustable at higher settings seems to get me to BBS with a little less time and effort.

Wow, if you are using a Progress on its highest setting and not getting good results, it would seem that your technique needs more practice. No offense, but when i first started that was what i thought, but since improving my technique after more than 14 months, i get great shaves with my Weber DLC and my Progress set on #2.
Good luck to you.
My Progress is on 3.5 - that's the highest setting I can use without irritating my skin. The shave feels very close, and my offhand guess is that I won't find anything that shaves closer without irritation - but I figured I'd try asking.

A slant with a feather blade is about as close as you can get. The second choice would be something like a new standard with a feather.

You will notice that everyone who responds will give you a different answer. All of them are correct.

Everything/anything will give you a perfect shave if you use it properly.
Yup.
Your technique has to vary with the razor. Blades too. I can get just as good a shave with a Feather as I can with a Cobra. Don't try the same shaving style with both though.

My Progress is on 3.5 - that's the highest setting I can use without irritating my skin. The shave feels very close, and my offhand guess is that I won't find anything that shaves closer without irritation - but I figured I'd try asking.

Progress is a great razor. At one time (not too long ago) I owned 4 of them (all custom razors).

Now I am down to just one custom made progress razor.

proxy.php

I have to agree that it's a YMMV issue. Day in and day out, I prefer my LC NEW with a Feather. Some people would rather shave with broken glass than this combo. I get a superb shave with my 2011 R41 and a Gillette Thin combo. Some people here swear by a 7 oclock yellow, I can't stand them. But I think the more important issue is prep and technique. Map your beard, shave WTG, ATG, XTG in one direction and then XTG in the other. If that doesn't work, you may be one of those men that have to shave prior to an, ah, intimate evening.

...Is there anything that shaves closer (short of a straight razor)?...
2011 R41 gives me very close two-pass shave. 2012 iKon OC with proper technique, two-pass shave. Merkur 23C/34C , three-pass shave. In all cases I have to use Feather or Gillette yellow blades.

... Or should I just give up and go for a quick nighttime one pass shave?...
I believe you would be better off with this night time one pass shave with a medium aggressive razor, that is for less irritation. I also believe it would not hurt to give it a try for a week or two.

Lucky you... get to shave twice a day!

After you shave in the morning, do you have a nice, close DFS or BBS? If so, I frankly suspect that any attempt to get a closer shave so you will have less stubble at night might simply result in the loss of blood, and no closer shave. It is possible that your beard grows quickly, or perhaps your spouse prefers to not have her face scratched. Or maybe she likes the way you smell after a fresh shave.

Top Bottom