What's new

Glycerin Itch?

My face has gotten an itchiness a couple of times after using Mama Bear's glycerin soap. Does this happen to anyone else? I have been using an ASB afterwords. I like the soap's lather and scent but I am wondering if I am sensitive to the glycerin.

Shea butter is a possibility. My wife has some, I will give it a skin test. I think glycerin, at least according to the web, is something that is in a lot of neutral skin products such as Neutrogena soaps. I have read some on this board saying that they don't like glycerin.

For me I'm pretty sure its shea butter because I can't use products that have it that are in product lines I can otherwise use. For example

I can't use AOS Lavender ASB (shea), but can use AOS Lavender Shaving Cream and PreShave Oil.

I can't use CADE shaving cream (shea) but love the CADE soap (no shea).

I blew up when I accidentally put KMF hand lotion (shea) on my face.

Glycerine is in so many things I'd think you'd know it by now if you had an issue, but it could also be a matter of degree and concentrations.

My face has gotten an itchiness a couple of times after using Mama Bear's glycerin soap. Does this happen to anyone else? I have been using an ASB afterwords. I like the soap's lather and scent but I am wondering if I am sensitive to the glycerin.

One thing that I have noted, and though it may have nothing to do with your problem is scent. The FOs or EOs used to scent a product like some of the favorite soaps around here can cause a reaction. If you have more than one of MB's soaps try a different one. For some reason I have had particularly sensitive skin for the last couple of months. I have Mama Bears and QED glycerin soaps. Both start to irritate around the 3rd pass. It's a minor irritation somewhat akin to feeling overly dry and as it does not last past the aftershave I have for the most part ignored it. Though I must admit that I am on the quest for the perfect shave and have 7 different soaps on order right now alone.....lol

I have found that since I started wetshaving my face gets quite itchy, especially on my cheeks next to my nose. I am wondering if glycerin is responsable also

While there is such a thing as a allergic reaction to glycerol / glycerin / glycerine the numbers are amazingly few. In fact it seems that up to 90% of what we eat and put on our bodies contains the stuff. More than likely it is not the glycerin but something else used in the soap. If your concerned or just curious just go to your local pharmacy and buy some pure glycerin and put some on your arm and see what happens. If nothing does try a bit on your face...

Top Bottom