What's new

How to remove RUST from a safety razor

My dad recently came back from a garage sale and picked up a flare tipped superspeed.

its immaculate, except for under the bar where the blade goes in, theres a big spot of rust.

This in no way impedes the function of the razor, but it just looks bad.

Its hard to get a consistant scrub with a toothbrush and MAAS. is there a better way to get at this area?

Its like i'm polishing all around it, but not on it. Should i even bother to remove the rust?

Flare tip superspeeds do not rust. If you see rust then it must be from a blade that was left in the razor for a long time. A good soak in WD40 and a bit of scrubbing should be enough. If its not rust but loss of plating then there is nothing that can be done. This does not affect how the razor shaves and would be purely a cosmetic defect.

WD40? That is a new one. Usually when I have found spots of rust it is in fact areas of stain over plating loss. The underside of the blade holder is the most difficult place to clean. Lots of little spaces.

If you have a gun store or sporting goods store with a gun department near you, you can get some Birchwood Casey Rust Remover (it's sold with the gun cleaning supplies). I've also used CLR with success.

What is CLR?

CLR stands for "Calcium Lime Rust". This is primarily a bathroom cleaner. Really good for removing "Calcium, Lime, and Rust" stains from bathroom fixtures. Sort or alond the lines of Scrubbing Bubbles. Really good a removing hard water stains and ruststains.

Ron

I tried the WD40, nothing changed, its caked on.

is not a BROWN rust, more like copper green rust.

I was thinking about using CLR. Should i use full strength? or should i dilute it?
I wasnt sure if it would hurt the razor or not.

EDIT: i tried CLR, it did absolutely nothing, the rust is still there.

should i use undiluted?

I tried the WD40, nothing changed, its caked on.

is not a BROWN rust, more like copper green rust.

I was thinking about using CLR. Should i use full strength? or should i dilute it?
I wasnt sure if it would hurt the razor or not.

EDIT: i tried CLR, it did absolutely nothing, the rust is still there.

should i use undiluted?

If it's green, it's not rust, it's corrosion which means that the plating is worn off and the brass is corroding, try using a metal polish, keep in mind that it won't polish up to a silver shine, it will be brassy once the corrosion is removed.

i have a old silver "new type" it has dark spots where the silver corroded and copper parts where the plating just gave in, no way to fix it, right ?

i have a old silver "new type" it has dark spots where the silver corroded and copper parts where the plating just gave in, no way to fix it, right ?

No way to make it look new again unless you have it stripped and re-plated. You can use metal polish (preferably a non-abrasive polish) to remove the dark spots, but no matter what you do, you can't get rid of the copper, or brass shining through. Also be careful using CLR if copper or brass is visible through the plating. the clr will etch away at the copper or brass, us a 50/50 solution and only short dunks in the solution followed by toothbrush scrubbing under hot running water.

Top Bottom